1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error Code 2755 when attempting installation of products...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheZeDD, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheZeDD

TheZeDD Thread Starter

Error code 2755 when attempting installation for any product.

I am getting Error 2755 when attempting to install or during installation of Java as well as a few other products I have tested as a cross-comparison to this error.

Upon attempting installation it states "The system cannot open the device or file specified."

When you click "Cancel" it states: "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing the package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755."

The computer has Windows XP with SP3 and is fairly up to date, 99.9%. I need some ideas or help in fixing this. I am busy trying to search out some items but I'm hoping someone has fixed this before.

Thank You for yor input

2. TheZeDD

TheZeDD Thread Starter

Ok, if you want the short version... skip the links I posted for reference and just follow the steps. Its about 5 minutes or less depending on your machines stability and ability to compute your moves. I recommend you to reboot your computer in between steps and before you begin be sure to create a System RESTORE point as well.

This was written using XP, your system will vary slighty but not much. And YES, this is the broad basics.

Two things first...

Find out what version your MSI installer is and if it needs updating. NOTE: i would have guessed you would of received a different code or error if you just needed an update!?. Such as a message stating to be out of date; needs updating; is corrupted; etc.. i'm failry sure it works this way too. I was also getting an error 2755 when attempting a JAVA install. This turned out to be related to the "Windows Installer" not being set to Automatic and/or the service Started!

1.) --> Start --> Run --> type "Msiexec" (Case insensitive and without quotes))

Should this attempt not work, Microsoft lists the long run around to this as ...--> Start --> Run --> type either "command" or "cmd", and at the command prompt enter the "Msiexec". In either case read the information posted in the box, if any all you will need is the version number.

This machine had stated "V 3.01.4001.5512" which as of September 10, 2010 a new version was released to which this machine happily updated to "v4.5.6001.22159"

NOTE: Updating to current September 10, 2010 MSI Installer Package v4.5 supports ALL 2.x thru 3.x installs of MSI. This WILL NOT matter if it's a PERMISSIONS issue!

This is the information to the latest MSI installer v4.5 here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/

The download here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

NOTE: In the file list via the above link Microsoft accordingly states the file as version 3.x for x86/XP.. IT HAS THE 4.5 INSTALLER in it and should be renamed. But that would be too easy:

--->> The file is named as: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe (Two Thumbs Up!!)

2.) Be sure your Windows Installer via the Services Snap-In says its functioning and is set to automatic via these steps:

Click --> Start --> Run --> type either "compmgmt.msc" or "services.msc" to get the "Services and Applications // Services" Snap-In window.

Alphabetized you'll find the "Windows Installer" near the bottom of the list. See that it is set to Automatic and Enabled via right click and properties, or similar.

3.) These are the other options to try if the above show good thus far and If your not getting a "required update or missing/corrupted file or similar then it very well may be a PERMISSIONS issue. So, diligently going about so as not be corrupt your admin account...

First, right click the file your trying to install and allow it unrestricted permission. You can also try and workaround the next step by giving it administrative access via the "Run As" command. This last part is providing you have another account with administrative rights. Now.....

For XP, decipher what your admin account name is (see very bottom of this post), if this is the account your on then have someone help you create another account for your daily access and as a backup operation. Either way, log into the admin account. and, if thats the account your using or going to use...

...and if you have tried installing your program of issue with this account and it fails then follow these steps:

Under the start menu.. -->Start --> Run --> type %Temp%

(YOU MUST HAVE allowed viewing Hidden and System files via the above "Folder Options" menu's), Then, hit your backspace key, see that "Temp" folder, right click the TEMP folder and check for "permissions". You are checking to see that the "System" account has FULL permissions... mine seemed to contradict itself showing that it had both Yes/No checked for FULL permissions. In other words... SO, be sure that the "SYSTEM" account has FULL PERMISSIONS to access this folder.

4.) There are a few articles about testing your MSI package and key commands as listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Try running these commands once and see if you have any success:

MSIExec /unregister

MSIExec /regserver

Try to install or to uninstall your program again.

More info on the same adjenda here:

*** This will not cover a permissions issue!!!!!!!!! MSI Installer issues and Steps to resolve : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

5.) After you have tried the above options and tried re-running the installer to success try the KB updater under downloads: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/

6.) These are additional readings that I have found and may provide some example or light for you to judge by:

Permission Issues and MSI installation errors (has Vista/7 included):
    http://www.sevenforums.com/software/63211-how-i-solved-error-2203-a.html
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2177352.php

____________ ____________ ____________ ____________ ____________

To what might I accredit this too... hmm...

The following are crapware/donationware system cleaners I've tested or used. I am only being fair to include them all as they all have cleaning AND repairing abilities... CCleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, JV16 PowerTool Lite (free version). Either way, i noticed some issue after using one of them in which it seemed quite evident it had caused some kind of issue on the machine as well. Maybe not this issue granted, but I have had a few others that have popped up over time. Tho I may not totally knock one or the other I have read some interesting articles along the way. I can see how easy it may be to point a finger in between. There is always the "updates" that don't quite update and need re-patching, again or system functions that don't tend to function as should.

The only final words, use your system backup utility to make a RESTORE POINT b-e-f-o-r-e you begin. If you have a great running machine, do not use these tools and use the built-in system cleaning tools instead where possible. Create a second account and use that as your daily driver.

This may include any or all of the following throughtout my information posted:

Windows Server 2008, 32-bit editions
    Windows Server 2008, 64-bit editions
    Windows Server 2008, Itanium-based editions
    Windows Vista
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    Windows Server 2003 SP1
    Windows Server 2003 SP2

Idea's and ways on How to find your account name, names, administrator and similar:

You can try this and see what is listed:

--> Start --> Run --> %username%

- Depress these three keys together and in this order: "CTRL + ALT + DEL and find your Task Manager".

Then, under processes and in the "User Name" column you will see who is logged on.

You could also use "Ctrl + Shift + Esc" to access your Task Manager as well as right clicking on a blank area of your Task Bar at the very bottom center of your screen.

- You can find additional info on users and accounts: --> Start --> Run --> Type "compmgmt.msc" and press enter. Then under "Local Users and Groups." But this will not show you who is logged on or the names of other accounts.

As well as using the command "Net User" at a command prompt.

- --> Start --> Run --> compmgmt.msc --> under the Event Viewer and Security you can find the name of logged on users this way. As well as under the System event viewer, just look at the columns under User and Times :)

- Sometimes the current account is displayed at log off.

- PsLoggedOn (one word) is a tool thats freeware. It was written sometime ago when Winternals was its own entity and before Microsoft Acquired it. The tools is called "psloggedon" and must be run from a command prompt. Which means you either drop it in your appropriate system directory. OR drop it in a temp folder (ie C:\Temp) and navagate to it using commands such as "cd.." and "cd Temp" using "dir" to list files in the current directory. Then just type the file name, psloggedon. Its only 140kb unzipped for the actual .exe file and you can find it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897545.aspx

- Sometimes you can find some pertinent info under here: --> Start --> Run --> type command (or cmd) and at a command prompt try "systeminfo". It will not list the logged on user tho :/

- Cheers!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963556