1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error Code 80072F78 = Bad Internet Time Sync = No Windows Updates?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by referee07, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

This is the second posting for this issue. I can't download and update my Windows updates. Each time I try I get the error code: 80072F78, which after I Googled the code apparently means that my computer's time and date are wrong. I checked and the time and zone are correct. However, whenever I try to sync the time with the Internet, e.g., "time.Windows.com" or any of the other available options, I get a message "An error occurred when Windows was synchronizing with .... The peer is unresolved." Is this problem not allowing me to update Windows? I also Googled this and discovered that "time.Windows.com" has been broken before. Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

2. Broni

Broni

In Control Panel, double click on Date and Time, click on Internet Time, then on Change Settings button. In next window select different server from drop-down menu (I use time-a.nist.gov). Click on Update now button. OK your way out. Restart computer.

[​IMG]

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Broni, I tried synchonizing all of the five listed and got the error message on every one.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Something is blocking the access. You need to check your firewall and other protection software to see if they may be blocking this action.
    Also have you turned OFF any services and or the UAC?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

6. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

DaveA and Rollin' Rog, how can I determine if I've turned off any services or the UAC? I ran services.msc and Windows Time services is running and set to automatic start-up. I did download and run "Vista Firewall Control" but last night I uninstalled this program and the same thing happened, i.e., I couldn't synchronize my computer's time and couldn't update Windows.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you open the Security Center it will tell you if UAC is on or off. But I don't see what that has to do with it personally. I leave mine off.

Is there a particular onset to this problem? The "reliabilty index" graph in Performance Tools and Information > Advanced is good to consult for dates and issues.

Has it ever worked?

Are you seeing any other errors in the Event Viewer that might be related?

I don't know of any other services that would be relevant.

You see those time addresses in Broni's Post? If you open a command prompt (start > run: cmd) and enter

example:

ping time.nist.com

Do you get a successful 4 packet response from any of them?

Windows.com fails for me, but the rest work.

8. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,

1. Windows Update has worked previously. I don't know what I might have done or what has caused it to stop but I think it has something to do with the time not being able to be synchronized with the Inernet.

2. I only got a sucessful 4-packet response on time.nist.gov.

3. Where can I see the "Relibility Index" and the "Event Viewer?"

Finally can you review the following HiJack This log? Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 1:27:12 PM, on 3/10/2008
    Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16609)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 7\SMSystemAnalyzer.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Windows\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Audible\Bin\AudibleDownloadHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\DidTheyReadIt\configure.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\distnoted.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI (RC1)\psi.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com;...com;http://Download.Windowsupdate.com;*.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateReg] "C:\Windows\system32\jureg.exe" -delete
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcronisTimounterMonitor] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iolo Startup] "C:\Program Files\iolo\Common\Lib\ioloLManager.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Speech Recognition] "C:\Windows\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe" -SpeechUX -Startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: Configure DidTheyReadIt Background Tracker.lnk = C:\Program Files\DidTheyReadIt\configure.exe
    O4 - Startup: Secunia PSI (RC1).lnk = C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI (RC1)\psi.exe
    O4 - Startup: WKCALREM.LNK = C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Audible Download Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Audible\Bin\AudibleDownloadHelper.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Google Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Snapfish Media Detector.lnk = C:\Program Files\Snapfish Picture Mover\SnapfishMediaDetector.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: interceptor.dll,c:\progra~1\google\google~2\goec62~1.dll c:\progra~1\google\google~2\goec62~1.dll,wbsys.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll
    O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iolo FileInfoList Service (ioloFileInfoList) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
    O23 - Service: iolo System Service (ioloSystemService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
    O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
    O23 - Service: Acronis Try And Decide Service (TryAndDecideService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Fomatik\TrueImageTryStartService.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe
    O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - http://www.cmse.net/images/14.jpg

--
    End of file - 8776 bytes

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

And you can't get a successful time sync with time.nist.gov selected?

I don't see anything wrong with the scanlog.

You can access the Reliability Monitor by opening the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced page.

You can probably open the Event Viewer from there or just run eventvwr.msc

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, sorry it has taken me such a long time to answer your post, but I've been away from my computer for a couple of weeks. This inability to be able to download and install windows upgrades has got me concerned. Right now I have eight critical updates that won't download. I looked at the reliability monitor but didn't see anything wrong which is not a big surprise because I'm not sure what I was looking for. Also, I don't understand why my computer's clock will not synchronize with the Internet? Also, all of a sudden, windows defender won't download updates. I turn this off since I have my own anti spyware program but still it's concerning. You have any other ideas as to why the clock won't synchronize and the updates won't download? Thanks again.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think if you can set the time manually there should not be a problem with Windows Update -- but I could be wrong.

Are you connected through a router? And if so, can you test with a direct connection to the modem?

There is an alternative to Windows update -- you might want to give it a try -- it will identify needed updates and give you the opportunity to download them manually.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

We may need to take a better look at this:

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: interceptor.dll,c:\progra~1\google\google~2\goec62~1.dll c:\progra~1\google\google~2\goec62~1.dll,wbsys.dll

intercptor.dll should be legitimately associated with "spycatcher"

Is this, or was this installed?

wbsys.dll belongs to WindowBlinds. Is it currently installed?

12. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, once again, thanks for the help.

1. I think the time is set OK but maybe it needs to be synchronized to an Internet time hub?

2. I don't have a router;

3. I went to the Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx and was able to download and install everything but Vista SP1. (For that one, the site sent me to the Windows Update page which doesn't work.)

4. I once (I believe) installed and used something called "Spycatcher" but that was on an older machine. Maybe this program (or part of it) was brought to this Vista machine when I transferred files from the older machine to this one, or maybe Spycatcher "piggybacked" a ride with another program? Anyway, Spycatcher shouldn't be here; and,

5. I had WindowBlinds on the other XP machine but not this one.

Windows Update worked previously.

Do you know anything about System Mechanic? I recently started using this program which appears to have sped my computer up a lot. I thought this program might be the culprit re: Windows Updates and uninstalled it this morning but after doing this, Updates still didn't work so I reinstalled System Mechanic. Once again, thanks for the help.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well frankly I rarely if ever use those types of programs, but they do have their uses -- I just can't evaluate any personally.

We can clean the registry of those orphan entires, won't help with the time sync though; I just don't know what's wrong there if Windows Time Service is running in services, there is no firewall, and your time is set manually to be reasonably close to the actual time.

Generally speaking "time-a.nist.gov" seems to be the most reliable choice.

I'm not sure you should be in a hurry to install SP1 -- but if you have a really good download connection you could download the full setup.

Once it is installed, if you choose to do so, be prepared to reinstall some device drivers like Audio -- which have caused many people to lose sound after the update. I actually uninstalled it due to a couple of problems, including that -- but will probably reinstall in a day or two.

Now the orphan appinit entries.

Run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs

Double click the "appInit_Dlls" value in the right pane.

In the "Value Data" field make it read:

c:\progra~1\google\google~2\goec62~1.dll c:\progra~1\google\google~2\goec62~1.dll,

(in other words, just remove the first and last dlls, but leave a comma at the end)

Close the box to save the changes and exit the registry editor.

14. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, thanks again for your reply. I went into "regedit" and corrected that line. Regarding the time synchronization, because I'm living in South Korea I thought this might have something to do with the problem. So, I looked up different different time synchronization sites on the web and chose a couple from South Korea and Japan. I tried these that they didn't work either. I'm pretty sure that the problem with Windows Update stems from the computers' inability to synchronize with Internet time. The error number that I get, 80072F78, indicates that Windows won't update because of a problem with time and date. What do you think of the AVG antivirus program? I thought maybe my computer has a virus but I've run the AVG program twice and it came up with nothing. Thanks again for the help.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have a look here -- there are some things specific to Windows Update that we haven't looked at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Well I've been using AVG for years, but really I don't even need that, personally. Frankly, however, AVG is not the most thorough tool for virus checking.

You could try some of the online scanners; Kaspersky is considered very good -- but it won't remove anything.

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/110854-security-help-tools.html#post663486

Let me compare your W32time registry key with mine.

Run regedit and navigate to >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w32time

Highlight it, then select File > Export (give it a name)

Under "Save as type" make sure "txt" (TEXT) file is selected.

Then save the key somewhere convenient and upload it here as an attachment.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!