[Solved] Error Disabling Connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mtnclimbers

I am unable to disable my wireless LAN connection. WINxP. Just started today. I receive the following message: "Error Disabling Connection- It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may have one or more protocals that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system account."

Any ideas????

Group policy set on your computer perhaps??

START | RUN type in GPEDIT.MSC

Somewhere in there you may have group policy set

Example of one location is :

USER CONFIGURATION / ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATE / NETWORK CONNECTION / Ability to enable/disable a LAN connection.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Why and how are you attemping to disable it? I just pull the PC card out or disconnect the USB cable.

Mtnclimbers

I am having problems with using the internet when I dialup on laptop. I have a wireless network at home, my wife needed to dial into the internet this laptop because I had our desktop apart and it appears that sometimes it thinks that it thinks that the internet connection is on the lan. I thought if I disabled the wireless lan that it would correct the problem but then I got this message. My internet problem may be something else but I was just trying to eliminate somethings. As you know all changes lead you in a new and exciting chase to solve more problems.

All you need to do is change your Internet Connections options in Windows Explorer. Open IE, select Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, and Dial whenever...

I have DSL but when it is down I have to do the same thing.

Mtnclimbers

Thanks for the suggestions but my problem is now solved. I restored to a prior system save and everything is working ok. Internet connection works and I can disable wireless network without getting a strange message. I must have picked up some virus...

That's great, thanks for letting us know. I will mark your thread solved.

I have the same problem when trying to remove the icon for a LAN connection form the system tray.
"Error Disabling Connection- It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may have one or more protocals that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system account."
My connection is owned by System, but there is no System account I can see.
On XP Home how can this be removed ?
Thanks.

Hi
I'm using windows XP professinal SP1
I used an ethernet card to connect my PC to laptop, on which is windows XP home edition. I had to delete norton antivirus programs from laptop.
Then I set up a LAN. My PC can see and configure laptop's files, but laptop can not see/configure PCs'. Laptop cannot connect to internet through the DSL on PC in which I have been using DSL for a long time.
Laptop can disable LAN connection but cannot delete it, but PC can neither disable nor delete LAN. I'm always using an admin account. I also enabled enable/disable LAN connection from group policy, but it is no good.
My PC was infected with some kind of virus norton doesn't detect. Luckily I deleted the virus with NOD32. (It writes some files to windows system32 like: mouse.exe, 1.tmp etc.)
Can some kind of virus spyware be doing this?
Thanks

sy2

It's not a good idea to jump on the end of a post with your problem, Eugeneg and fatihtufan, as chances are slim that anyone will see it - especially if the thread has since been marked solved.

Best bet is to start your own thread dedicated to your problem.

I also had this problem and I solved it by doing the following:

It appears to be a corrupted crypo service database. While in safe mode of windows perform the following to rename the folder.

Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each line:

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2

reboot the computer back to normal mode. Now try it.

Brian

I don't know about others, but I get an "Access is denied" message when attempting to rename CatRoot2. Permissions have been checked & reapplied, and I have full admin rights to the computer. I have also applied "attrib -s -h -r catroot2" in the prompt and no dice....

NOD32 found nothing on this system I'm having this error on, btw.... And booting into a boot disk and renaming CatRoot2 to CatRoot2old works as far as renaming it, but not as far as getting rid of this problem.

It actually has to do with the installation method, pointing to the .inf file instead of running the setup installer for the wireless adapter I'm having the issues with. You have to run the device installer program instead of going through the Windows Add New Hardware wizards & pointing at the .inf, apparently, at least with this Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG adapter running on this Inspiron 8500 I'm installing. My advice to anyone with this issue - Cancel any Add New Hardware wizard from Windows and download the driver from Intel - they labeled the file Intel®PROSetWirelessSoftware_10.5.0.1_XP32E.exe. Run that. Go to where it extracts the files. Run the file DPInst.exe. It should let everything work after that - at least if the issue someone is having is similar to mine.

Mtnclimbers said:
I am unable to disable my wireless LAN connection. WINxP. Just started today. I receive the following message: "Error Disabling Connection- It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may have one or more protocals that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system account."

Any ideas????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online