1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andyroberts, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyroberts

andyroberts Thread Starter

hope someone can help my dads pc was running on a partitioned hard drive but he thinks he has deleted the slave partition when he comes to start it up now it says error loading operating system i have tried putting my windows xp disk in to try reload windows on it but nothing happens.
    is there any way to get this running again thanks

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the partition is gone you are going to have to re-partition the drive and start all over again, more than likely all of the data on the original partition is gone and the possibility of being recovered by normal means is nil, The hard drive would have to be sent to a special company to have any data recovered.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP During an Install.
    http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html#3

3. andyroberts

still dont think i could do that as it will not load the xp disk to get to those options

4. The Hound

The Hound

What is the make and model of the computer? How old? How large is the hard drive?

5. andyroberts

not sure on the make or model but it is quite old i think it has a 25 gig hard drive which i know is small but need to try and get it back on if possible as he has some information on ther what is needed

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Also what operating system was on the hard drive before this started?

7. andyroberts

windows xp pro

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the partition has been deleted I do not see any future in getting the data from it. One thing about re-partitioning is the hard drive is completely re-done and this sort of closes the door on any recovery of information thru normal channels. Data recovery is very expensive and the drive would have to be sent to the company that does this type of work.

9. andyroberts

i have even tried putting a different hard drive in the pc which has xp pro on it but that will not start aswell
    do you think it could be something to do with the bios set up?

10. The Hound

The Hound

It could...has anyone fiddled with the BIOS lately?

Boot to BIOS (might need to press del or F1 or F12 depending on the machine) and tell us what boot device order is listed>>>

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

12. andyroberts

hi thankyou everyone that helped me in the end ive rebuilt the pc with a new hard drive new mother board processor and memory a bit more of expence than i was expecting but worth it in the long run should be good for a few years now

13. andyroberts

but still managed to save the thing he needed i put his old harddrive on to usb and transfered it all back to the new hard drive thanks again

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!