1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error message and freezing with "My Received Files"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stephannand, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephannand

stephannand Thread Starter

I keep getting a microsoft error report and also sometimes an error message appearing everytime I hopen "My Received Files". I've only got photos in there, perhaps about 10 files in total. NOD hasn't deteced any viruses.

I can't get into the folder at all - the error message comes up and the folder closes and/or the screen freezes.

Can someone help. I'm using XP Pro.

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

What does the error message say ? (exactly word for word)

3. stephannand

See pic

Attached Files:

4. stephannand

Also get this message sometimes... see second pic

Attached Files:

5. stephannand

Okay I've narrowed the crashing down to being related to some of the pictures in the my received folder.

I used "find files or folders" to search for some of the names of these pictures and this instigated the same sort of freeze-up as soon as the files were found. Therefore, the crashing must be being caused by these files.

The weird thing is, they're just jpegs off my digicam. The only thing that I wondered is if long filenames can cause crashing? They're called really long, random names generated automatically which are a few lines long.

How can I access these files either to modify the names or delete them altogether? As soon as they come up in a folder they cause the above error messages and I therefore can't get into them. Help!

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I've heard that long file names can cause "the memory can not be 'read'" errors because Microsoft says you may get popups like that when shutting off of internet sites that attempt to save temporary internet files with rediculously long code names. Clearing the cache resolves that. I speak from experience.

EDIT: You may have misunderstood me. Clearing the cache only resolves memory errors that you experience when shutting off the internet, not the pictures. Things like this have to do with the long file names (either in the browser cache like I had, or the pictures in your case).

7. stephannand

Thanks for your reply. Excuse my total ignorance, but how do you clear the cache :rolleyes:

8. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Clearing the "cache" or Temporary Internet Files works (as far as I know) only if you are experiencing that problem when shutting off certain websites. The only reason why I mentioned that is because that application popup about the memory is usually associated with excessively long file names (either browser cache, or in your case the name of the pictures).

If you want to clear the cache/ temporary internet files, open the Internet, go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Delete Files box, put a checkmark in the box and hit OK. This is not going to do anything in your case though because it is not the browser cache that has long names, it's probably the pictures.

You'll have to find a way to make those file names much shorter because three lines/strings of characters for a single picture may be causing it.

9. flynstone

flynstone

You might try to scan disk (error check) the drive - Start>My Computer>(right click) Local Disk>Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now. Put a check in both the boxes.

10. stephannand

That's exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment, I just can't get access to these files for long enough before the error message comes up and the folder closes :( It's so frustrating! Does anyone know an alternative way to access them? I'm no use on the computer so any suggestions welcome!

Did the error check suggested by flynstone but no change unfortunately! Thanks though. Have also performed a system scan on Norton Systemworks and that's made no difference either.

11. stephannand

Problem solved! Started up in safe mode, managed to get in and change the long file names and te folder's opening fine now. Strange. Thanks everyone (y)

12. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

That would do the trick, I guess. (y)

You can mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!