1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Error message "Invalid Partition Table. Setup Cannot Continue"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RTisdall, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RTisdall

RTisdall Thread Starter

Hello forum. I could use some help over here.

I installed Paragon Partition Manager 2000 on my PC which is (was) running Windows ME, 833MHz processor, 64 meg Ram. The intention was to partition the hard drive and run a different OS.

I successfully created a second primary partition however on restarting my machine I received the error message noted above. This happens before BIOS or anything has kicked in. At this point the message is displayed on a black screen and I cannot do anything.

I made an ME boot disk from the web which I can run but Windows does not start. I get a CDR101 error if I try anything whatever that means.

From the dos prompt I ran scandisk which detected no errors. I then did a registry scan which also detected no errors. I then did a restore to a previous point which also has not helped.

One problem I noticed when I created the partition which may contribute to the overall issue was I could not seem to assign a drive letter to the new partition.

Apologies for the lengthy post, I really hope someone can help.

Richard

(n) :mad:

I should also mention that at one point while trying to sort this I also got the error message "While initializing device IFSMGR
    The Microsoft Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver.
    Please ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted"

Not sure if this is relevant.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I don't think you can have a second "primary."

3. RTisdall

RTisdall Thread Starter

I had set coth partitions to active! Accessed fdisk and changed this and the problem went away. Obviously can't have a bootable partition with no OS in it.

Quite right ACACandy. I should have said second partition on primary disk.

Cheers

Richard

4. ~Candy~

:) And by the way, you can't set both to active either :D

Have a great day!

5. RTisdall

RTisdall Thread Starter

Thats what I thought but the partition information when I looked via FDISK had an A flag under active. What does it all mean

6. ~Candy~

7. mobo

mobo

PM is a real easy program to navigate so I don't understand how more than one partition could have been se as active, for the simple reason that it does prompt you if you attempt to set more than one as active. I have a floppy based as well as a cdrom based version of PM8 and they both prompt so maybe a different version doesn't do so.

8. RTisdall

RTisdall Thread Starter

Thanks for that

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!