1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error message upon boot-up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by warrensburger, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. warrensburger

warrensburger Thread Starter

This is on Windows XP Media edition. Upon boot-up, I get the message:
    The instruction at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The memory could not be written.
    OK to terminate the program
    Cancel to debug the program

I am at a loss as to what this refers to.
    I have looked into all software aspects and that seems ok.
    Is this a hardware issue? Like a bad SIMM.

:(

I have just replaced the SIMMs. Same error message. So I am assuming this is a software problem.

2. Sief9

Sief9

Ah I had that problem 2 formats ago. :p But don't worry it if anything you'd have to format your computer once, I formatted it another time for another reason.

So back on topic, it's probably a virus. So do a virus scan, see if that helps. When I had the problem I ended up formatting my computer, that'll get rid of it for sure. :)

But as for me, a virus scan is all I can tell you. Sorry, hope it helps though! :D

3. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

A little googling indicates that this is generally associated with a problem with windows automatic updates.

Control panel => Security Center=>Manage settings for => automatic updates
    In the next dialog box click "Turn off automatic updates"
    Restart computer

Alternate method
    Right click "my computer"
    Click "properties" then the "automatic updates" tab
    Choose "turn off automatic updates"
    Reboot your computer

Then you want to run windows update manually
    In Internet Explorer go to tools +> windows update
    or go to
    Start => programs => windows update
    Run windows update and choose the custom not the express.
    Once it lists available updates, choose one and only one from the critical list and click download and install
    Repeat until all critical and security updates are installed (reboot as needed)
    Now go to the suggested updates and do the same

NOTE: I do not recommend you install any hardware updates from Microsoft windows update. If it lists available updates for your hardware note what it says you need. Then go to control panel => system => hardware => device manager and make sure you actually have that device.
    I prefer to recommend that you get the update from the device manufacturer as there is a history of windows update installing incorrect and incompatible hardware drivers (such as the XP SP3 debacle where it tried to install Intel CPU drivers on HP computers with AMD processors)

Once finished , you can turn automatic updates back on.

The next most likely candidate for causing this is the service
    Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

This is used to shift drivers from "kernel space" to "user space" in memory. Some devices do not like this happening . Try disabling this service by going to start / run and type
    services.msc
    hit enter
    Locate the service in question
    Double click it
    CLick stop service,
    Change the startup behavior to disabled or manual
    This generally is used by USB devices like cameras, flash drives, and media players. It provides stability so that if the device crashes it does not cause a system failure, but it can in some cases produce this error.
    Or just unplug all USB devices or devices with memory on them .

4. warrensburger

Hey oshwyn5, suggestion number two solved the problem. After new SIMM replacement, I wondered about services, and in fact had disabled some I thought were the problem, but to no avail. The problem started after installing Pinnacle Studio 11 and updated Firefox to version 5. I did both at nearly the same time, so I am not sure which program may have been the culprit. My computer is now humming along smoothly.
    I am in a band, and would be glad to send oshwyn5 a free CD of our tunes as thanks. If acceptable, send a postal address to: [email protected] and mention your screen name from this forum.

5. warrensburger

PS:
    This actually solved a second problem that had me dogged for a while. I have a MP3 player that works like a USB memory stick. One just hooks it up to a USB port and dump tunes on it. Well, a while back Windows XP refused to see the files in File Manager or DOS prompt. The drive was seen in the tree, but when I clicked on the drive assigned to the mp3 player, FM reported no files. Now the files show up. Many thanks again!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!