Solved: Error Message When Right-Clicking D and E Drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Leen223

Hi,

This is my first time here but boy do I need help! When I right click Play or double-click my D and/or E drives after inserting a cd or dvd, I get the message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." I have tried several things already including running a thorough cleaning, fixes recommended on the Web including one here and NOTHING works. I cannot burn cds either. Hope someone can help me. I am pretty savvy at following the instructions, even if it includes going into the registry. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Firstly
Click Start
Right click My Computer
Click Properties
Click Hardware Tab
Click Device Manager
Open + sign on DVD/CD drives
check NO warning signs etc.
What Player are you using and which burning software

Leen223

I am using Windows Media Player to play and burn (latest version) and there are no errors indicated in device manager. Thanks for the info. Any more ideas?

Leen223

Thanks for the link. I tried it per the instructions and no dice. Any other ideas?

Leen223

Hi Macboat,

Thanks again for the help. I agree about too much tweaking and have tried to avoid that. I tend to take the advise of experts like yourself and am able to follow the steps very well. I have straightened out some nasty bugs in the past but this has me stumped. Any others suggestions are truly welcomed.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What Fixes have you tried please from the Web.
When did the problem start.
Have you installed any programme immediately before it started.
Especially as per my post notes

We posted together on this one, please try and answer points two and three

hi Leen223 try bringing up your task manager>processes tab select explorer.exe and end process,go up to file tab?>new task and type explorer.exe close all open windows,reboot,any joy?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did this problem START after the download of the latest version of Windows Media Player and which version is it please.

Leen223

I tried the deep cleaning with Malwarebytes, #12 at this link file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/xp_tweaks.htm; XP_CD-DVD from http://www.dougknox.com/. and a System Restore. NADA. Thanks

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Leen223
Did the problem originally start after the download of the latest WMP or some other installation.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Are you having trouble opening any other applications on your computer?

Leen223

Not as of this moment but I am holding my breath. Can access my external hard drive J and word, excel etc. Thanks

Leen223

No, it just began last Thurs when I attempted to burn a cd. Kept getting error in WMP and iTunes after trying to burn a cd from music I purchased.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online