[Solved] Error message when windows starts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chickenmomma

For the past few weeks when my computer starts up I've been getting an error message- Java.lang.ClassFormatError- I don't know what to do. Other than the error message box nothing else seems to be wrong. What could be causing it?

What programs do you have loading at startup? Try this. If you use Win98 go to MSCONFIG and remove the startup programs. Reboot. Add the startups back one by one until you get the message agin. That may pinpoint which program is throwing the runtime error.

Unusual. It sounds like a bad java based program wants to run at startup. If you go to the site below, download the StartupLog zip file, unzip, run it and post the StartupLog.txt (not stubbpaths.txt) file it creates in your next post -- maybe we can figure it out.

Once the Startuplog.txt file is displayed, click edit>select all>edit>copy, then paste the copy in your next reply.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

(I see hewittg has posted a link ahead of me, if you know what program is causing the problem, your language settings might be a factor according to that)

chickenmomma

OK- I tried what Mosaic1 posted and when I took off 2 programs-Etraffic and Load QM- from startup the message stopped appearing, I haven't narrowed it down to which one of the 2 was causing it. But, it is gone. I don't even know what either of those starting up are. Anyhow THANKS!!!!

If I were you, I would Download and run Adaware. If you don't know what topmoxie is, it may be spyware and this will help you ID it and remove all entries.

It may have come along as a part of a shareware or freeware program. If removed, some program may stop working. Sometimes free is not quite free.

Here's a link to adaware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/index.html

chickenmomma

WOW-Very helpful-Thanks a bunch. It WAS etraffic causing the message, but I went ahead and disabled the LoadQM, too. I'm going to the website you suggested right now. Thanks for all the help, I had NO clue about what to do.

Downloaded Adaware and scanned my hard drive-I had 58 components to delete! I had no idea there was that much spyware on my computer. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online