1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Error messages on boot up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kordabup, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kordabup

kordabup Thread Starter

Lately when I boot up I get an error message "Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VShield(01)+00007732 To device "3FAI", Service 8016
    Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the windows setup program again to correct this problem.
    To continue running Windows press Y or Enter, to quit the current program press N."
    If I press N the system locks up. If I press Y Windows seems to run OK except that I get another error message as boot up completes : "Problem with shortcut
    The drive on network connection that the "HP Updates.lnk" refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available and try again" If I press "OK" the system seems to work normally.
    My virus protection and firewall is Mcafee.
    Would love some help to stop these error messages happening.
    I have Windows 98, which was installed on the computer when I bought it. The disks that came with it are two HP recovery disks, one for System recovery and one for Application recovery. Should I run the latter? I don't want to lose all the settings already in the computer. My memory at bootup usually has about 66% free and disk space used is shown as 106mg, (is that possible? It doesn't seem very much!)

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

This error: Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VShield(01)+00007732 To device "3FAI", Service 8016
    Points to a problem with McAfee, so perhaps an uninstall/reinstall of McAfee will solve it ?

You should be able to disable the HP updates.ink
    Click Start/Run then type msconfig and click ok, when the MS config utility opens click selective start up and then click on the start up tab and disable HP update by unchecking it and reboot.

3. kordabup

kordabup Thread Starter

Thanks EvileYe! Did those things and they both seem to have worked.

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

Your Welcome (y) :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice