1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error Msg: c:/windows/system32/NvCpl.dll - Specified module could not be found. Help?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sfulton, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sfulton

sfulton Thread Starter

Error Msg: c:/windows/system32/NvCpl.dll - Specified module could not be found. Help? I am getting that error message every time I turn on the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate it!

2. kniht

kniht

NvCpl.dll is related to your display drivers. May want to install the latest drivers.

3. sfulton

sfulton Thread Starter

Great - what is the most painless way to do that? It is my mother's computer and I am not exactly sure what she has and doesn't have... Thanks for your time!

Sonja

4. kniht

kniht

First you have to determine which graphics contoller you have on your system.

1. Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties".

2. Select the "Hardware" tab.

3. Click on "Device Manager".

4. Click on the + sign next to "Display Adapters", you will see the name of your Graphics
    Controller, write it down.

5. Double click on the Graphics Controller to open it's properties.

6. Write down the Driver Version and the Driver Date, click OK, then exit Device Manager.

7. Open your browser and go here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

8. Click on "Download Drivers"

9. Where you see "Start Here", click on "Graphics Driver".

10. In the next box, click on the Graphics Controller that is on your system.

11. Next box, click on your operating system, then click "Go".

12. On the page that opens you will see the Driver Version and Date. If the Version and
    Date are newer than what you currently have on your system, download the driver.

13. Be sure to read the "Driver Installation Hints Document" before you download.

5. sfulton

sfulton Thread Starter

You are rad. Thanks :)

6. sfulton

sfulton Thread Starter

Uh oh - I tried everything you recommended and on the NVIDIA site, the driver my mom has (Interl (R) 82865G Graphics Controller) is not an option. Help? Thanks!

7. valis

valis Moderator

go to start > run > dxdiag > enter > hit 'no' when it asks you some pop up box > go to display tab > tell us what it says under device. That is the box on the upper left.

v

8. kniht

kniht

Since your graphics controller is Intel and not Nvidia,
    Look into your windows services and see if the "nvidia driver helper" service is
    running. This service will insert the nvcpl into your startup registry
    everytime you boot your PC.

Go to "Start" >> Contol Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services

In Services look for the Nvidia Driver Helper Service. If the service is started, double click on the service, this will open the service "Properties".

Where you see "Startup Type", set this to disable.

Under "Service status", click on "Stop", click "Apply", click "OK", exit Services

9. sfulton

sfulton Thread Starter

I looked in the services and the only NVIDIA entry was labeled DIsplay Driver Service. It was set to start automatically and I disabled it as you suggested but the error message is still appearing on startup. What now? Thanks! Sonja

10. kniht

kniht

Something is trying to call up the Nvidia Control Panel.

Go to Start >> Run

In the Run box type msconfig

Click OK

In msconfig look in the Startup tab in to see if something is still trying to call up the nvidia control panel. . . uncheck it and see if it goes away.

11. sfulton

sfulton Thread Starter

That worked! I found and unchecked the start up problem. Wish I could have figured that out on my own. For lack of a better word...duh.

Thanks again!

12. valis

valis Moderator

nice job of sticking with it, kniht......sfulton, you can mark this solved by the thead tools button at the upper right if you are satisfied.....hope you stick around.....loads of knowledge to learn in here.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice