1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error msg: cannot find rundll32.exe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ida Know, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ida Know

Ida Know Thread Starter

Jan 31, 2006
    I've been getting this error message whenever I try to open anything in My Computer or Settings:

Cannot find file C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available.

This problem came about when I was having trouble shutting down my Windows 95. I followed the troubleshooting guide on the Windows website. One thing it said to try was to disable the sound, which I did according to the directions. Eventually I ended up downloading a patch which fixed my shutdown problem. Now everything works fine, but I have no sound, and when I try to repeat my steps to get back in and enable the sound, I get the error message. I can open My computer and Settings but anything beyond that is no go.

2. adznam

Jan 24, 2005
    the prob u r facing is windows problem,maybe ur windows having missing files or corrupted files,my suggestion here just reinstall the windows using the cd win98 or win98se,if u have internet connection just go to the windows update n the windows update will sovle ur problem..(y)
  3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Dec 9, 2000
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438875