Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: error primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed

31K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rubeckf 
#1 ·
Suddenly I'm getting this message on my older computer when I try to boot up. It was working and then it hung up. I turned it off with the switch and now it won't boot up past this error. What could be the cause & the fix?

#3 ·
I put a new IDE cable in and now here's what's happening. It recognizes the HD, CD &CD burner & then it stops. I can get in the BIOS, but it won't let me do the F5 or F6 only F10 to save. I can make changes in the BIOS though. It won't let me boot with a floppy or a CD either. What could have happened so suddenly? I also got the MB manual and cleared the CMOS just in case.

#5 ·
I don't know the size of the psu off hand and I didn't take the computer completely open to remove the cable. I just reached in and did it from the side with eveything off.
I have had this one for about 5 yrs and have upgraded the BIOS and processor 6 or 8 months ago. I removed the cable from the burner and now I get this message before it sticks...sec. slave drive-ATAPI incompatible. Press F1 to continue and then it won't let me continue any further.

#9 ·
I tried taking each drive out and finally it booted. I changed the psu and that's what it was. Don't know why I have had to change the psu in this computer about 4 times in the 5 yrs I've had it. I got a better one this time. It had been making some noise but all the other times it just completely died and wouldn't start the computer at all.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.