1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error processing XML resource

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by troyw3412, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. troyw3412

troyw3412 Thread Starter

Alrighty, here's one that has stumped me for a few hours...

I have two computers running Windows XP Professional with Office 2003 Professional.

One of our vendor sites allows us to download payment information in .XML format that is used with Excel.

One of the systems can open the downloaded XML files and open successfully. The other machine returns the following:

The file cannot be opened because:
    The system cannot locate the object specified.
    Error processing resource 'PrintPayment Details.dtd'
    Line 2, Position 66.
    <!DOCCCTYPE PaymentDetailsInfoRsp SYSTEM "PrintPaymentDetails.dtd">

The odd part is the computer that CAN NOT open the document is the one used to download the XML files from the vendor site. Once the files are downloaded, they are emailed to the second computer that is currently used to open the documents.

I've searched the drives on the machine that is operational for the printpaymentdetails.dtd and am unable to locate said file.

Is this automatically generated when the XML file is opened? If so, what would cause the one machine to error out; but the same file can be sent to the second and it opens successfully?

Thank you in advance for any assistance on this.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

I'm not too sure, but you may not have a complete installation. I would see about trying to a a complete reinstall. If it was working before, you might want to try Detect and Repair. I'd also make sure nothing was disabled (Help | About MS Excel.. | Disabled items).

NB: A complete (re)install is NOT the same as standard or typical install.

3. troyw3412

troyw3412 Thread Starter

Thank you for getting back with me on this. I did perform a full installation when we removed Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 Professional. Thinking I may have missed an option, I did go back and re-install, again ensuring this was a complete install.

After the installation was completed, I downloaded and installed the Office updates from the Microsoft site.

I'm continuing to receive the same error.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Well the DTD is a Document Type Definition. Yours is an external DTD and should accompany your XML file. Check out this link for reference. You reference the PrintPaymentDetails.dtd file, do you have it following the other files as well?

5. troyw3412

troyw3412 Thread Starter

I'm aware the PrintPaymentDetails.DTD should follow the .XML file. The issue is that I'm unsure how this file is to be located by Excel... Does Excel generate this on it's own? Is there a setting I'm overlooking that would allow this?

The reason I ask this is because the second computer, that is able to open and work with the .XML file, does not have the .DTD file on the hard drive. I've searched the entire drive, no dice.

The first computer that throws back this error also does not have this file either. I was hoping a simple copy from the second computer to the first would handle this. Hard to do when I can't locate a copy of the file on either machine...

I've also tried looking at the code in the XML file to see if there is a network path that would point Excel to the DTD. Nothing.

I've included the first couple lines of the .XML file hoping someone may find something I've overlooked.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE PaymentDetailsInfoRsp SYSTEM "PrintPaymentDetails.dtd">
    <PaymentDetailsInfoRsp version="1.0">

Thank you again for your assistance thus far. I'm still without a clue on this.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

From what I understand about XML, if you have a custom DTD file, it should accompany the XML file around, yes. Since it's an external reference to a DTD, the file would be unrecognizable without having the definition 'template' if you will (the DTD) to access. And I believe Excel generates all of this for you.

More info: http://www.xmlfiles.com/dtd/dtd_intro.asp

7. troyw3412

troyw3412 Thread Starter

I ended up finding the solution...

While the service packs and updates were installed, the msxml5.dll was not.

After researching the files contained in the service packs, I determined the second system capable of opening the .XML document did have this file in the C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\OFFICE11 folder.

The original system lacking the capability to opening the document did not have this file. I simply copied the file from the second system to the first. Now both can access.

Thank you again for all of your help.

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Great! Good to know, I learned something there. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice