1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Errors Installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrm5102, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrm5102

mrm5102 Thread Starter

Hello All,

I was recently asked by a friend to see if I could fix up his laptop that has been getting a BSOD. After playing around with it for a while i came to the conclusion that it was a bad HDD. So I found a HDD for it installed it into the laptop then finally got the recovery Discs sent from Dell. Well they ended up sending us the wrong disc. They had sent a Windows XP Professional disc but the laptop is Windows XP Home Edition. So I tried to install it anyway but kept getting a different error every time I put in the disc. I was getting errors just after the point when you get the Blue screen that says at the bottom things like "Installing 3d party SCSI Drivers, etc...

So at this point I assumed that it was just the disc. So we sent the disc back to Dell and they sent us the correct "Windows XP Home Edition" disc. So after trying to install that I am still getting errors every time I try to install Windows. The strange thing is, is that it's a different error every time I try the install, and haven't seen the same error twice...

So I thought maybe it was a problem with the RAM so I ran MemTest86 on the RAM and all tests passed 100%. Not really sure where else to go from here.

Below are some of the errors I saw when trying the install. I didn't write down everyone, but here are a few that I saw. Also, like I was saying above, I never saw the same error twice.

Code:
    1. Error with file cdrom.sys
    2. The file cpqarray.sys not found
    3. File nvrd32.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\setup.c
    4. File \i386\c_1252.nls could not be loaded. Error code is ? --> (and yes the error code was a "?", same with next one)
    5. \i386\KDCOM.dll could not be loaded. Error code is ?

Those were a few a of the errors I saw while trying to install. A different error on every try.

Also, I should mention that I was able to run an OpenSUSE 11.4 Live CD on the laptop for over an hour without any problems occurring at all.

If anyone has any suggestion at all that would be great...

Thanks in Advance,
    Matt

2. shadow6224

shadow6224

Hello! What kind of HDD did you find for the laptop? What is the brand and Size (Gigabytes) of it?

3. mrm5102

mrm5102 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the reply...

Shoot... Sorry meant to put all that stuff at the end of my post. Here it is, thanks for reminding me..

Laptop: Alienware Area 51m (pretty old laptop)
    HDD: Seagate ST980815A 2.5" 80GB IDE 5400rpm Hard Drive
    RAM: 512MB x 2 --> 1GB Total

Thanks Again,
    Matt

4. mrm5102

mrm5102 Thread Starter

Problem solved...

I used a USB CD/DVD-ROM and all went successfully. Turns out it was a problem with the DVD-ROM. Strange though because my OpenSUSE 11.4 Live CD worked just fine...

-Matt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice