1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WMD) sound problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by incentive00, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. incentive00

incentive00 Thread Starter

Someone gave me their computer because they couldn't get it to work. So I reformatted the hard drive and I've got everything working but the sound. They had no drivers to give me so, I went to the Compaq website to get the drivers. When I tried to install them it told me to restart and it found the ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WMD). It then said to put in the Win98 cd-rom to get files from it but I have no idea where they are.

The files that my computer could not find are:
    ksuser.dll
    gm16.dls
    wdmaud.drv
    portels.sys
    redbook.sys
    sbemul.sys (not too sure about that one cause I can't read my handwriting..sorry)
    stream.sys
    swmidi.sys
    wdmaud.sys
    imaadp32.acm
    msadp32.acm
    msgsm32.acm
    tssoft.acm
    tsd32.dll
    msg711.acm

My OS is Win 98 and my computer is a Compaq Presario 7360. I have no idea what these files are and how to find them just so my sound will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to get this to work since 4pm and its 12am now. Thanks.

Also I'm getting the error of "Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it" whenever I try to play a song in RealPlayer. I have no idea what else could be using my soundcard. Thanks again for any help..

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

When it asks for the CD, direct it to the Windows or Windows\System folders. It will probably find all those files there. If not, do a search on your machine for a file and direct it to the location when you find it. Most of these files are already there, even though 98 says they are on the CD.

Are you sure you're using the Win98 driver?

3. incentive00

I got SP15773 from the Compaq website which is supposed to be for Win98 and for my sound card. I found the files it needed, which were just these
    ksuser.dll
    gm16.dls
    wdmaud.drv
    portels.sys
    redbook.sys
    sbemul.sys
    stream.sys
    swmidi.sys
    wdmaud.sys

Everything seemed to work until it got to the part of Updating Windows 98 Settings (or something like that) with the little drum and the progress bar. It would get almost finished and just stop moving. The drumsticks on the drum would continue to go but nothing would happen. I left it there for 30 minutes or so until I finally restarted it. And it's still not reading my scard. How can I fix this? Thanks.

4. teruzzi

teruzzi

This halp me a lot of times...

Ciao
    Maurizio

5. incentive00

I installed a driver I found that actually worked...but I still have one problem. I have the volume up all the way and the only way to hear anything is with the speaker up to my ear. Could it be the speakers or the wrong driver?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure you have the speakers plugged into the correct jack? Do you have a cdrom with a speaker jack that you can plug the speakers into to see if they are louder there?

7. incentive00

When I plug the speakers into the other jacks I get no sound at all.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ok, what about the cdrom jack? Do you have one on the front?

9. incentive00

No there is no jack on the front. There are three jacks on the back. One has a disc with an arrow pointing out, another with an arrow point in, and another with a mic. The only one to give me sound at all is the one with the arrow pointing out.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have the volume on the speakers turned up? I'm asking because if there is no volume on the speakers, you probably don't have amplified speakers. Newer sound cards need amplified speakers since they have no final-stage amps onboard.

11. incentive00

There is no volume on the speakers. Thanks so much. I understand what the problem is now and will be getting different speakers. Thanks again.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That sounds like the problem. The speakers aren't powered, so they just have no volume.

I still have a pretty nice set of speakers from an old 386 computer. They worked fine on that old machine becuse that old sound card had an amplifier built in. But there is barely any sound from them on a new computer.

13. incentive00

I went and bought a different set of speakers with a volume control on them and they work fine. Thanks so much for your help.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great. Thank you for posting back.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice