1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Establishing wireless internet connection on VAIO laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rain1290, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I recently ran into a fatal error with my hard drive and needed to replace it for my Sony VAIO laptop. Upon receiving and successfully mounting the new drive (and formatting the disk thereafter), I managed to download and install some necessary drivers with success, specifically the audio and video drivers. However, I am having some difficulty in reaching the internet, simply because there is not a known wireless connection (I think that when we had originally bought the laptop, it was already configured with a wireless setup, but I cannot be certain). Our router is a NETGEAR, but we never had to install the wireless NETGEAR software on the laptop. Instead, with the pre-existing wireless system, it simply detected routers in range and provided a list of these available networks. From there, we would commonly select NETGEAR and enter the necessary password key. The problem that I am currently facing is that I cannot access the list of available networks.

The model of this laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN-FS740/W, and we bought it in 2005.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can provide.

~Trav.~

2. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

With my Sony laptop, it isn't enough to just download the drivers. You have to download this stupid switch that hangs out in the background to turn wireless on and off. Check the Sony website to see if there are any files labelled "application" or something else other than "driver" in the list of downloads.

3. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi CompuClinicUT-JT

http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNFS740W&LOC=3

I think that this is the official site. If you scroll down to the "Wireless" and "Wireless LAN" files, there are some downloads available there, but I am not sure which to select. Any ideas?

EDIT: There is something titled "Sony Applications" in this list, but it appears to have nothing related to the internet.

Thanks,

~Trav.~

4. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

Under "Wireless" there are three files. I would try all three, then if that doesn't help, "Notebook Control and Utilities - 2 file(s)." If that still doesn't help, install the third file under "System Components - 3 file(s)."

5. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi CompuClinicUT-JT,

I just went ahead and installed everything you listed, but the only item that I was unable to install was the second item under "Wireless", called "VGF-WA1 Wireless Adapter Manager Update" because it required that I have SP2 or Windows Vista.

I also had previously installed both items under "Wireless LAN", if that's alright. However, I am still unable to get a connection after all of the installations. Is there a particular place where I have to go to do something after the installations? Also, would you like me to list any settings that I currently have in the device manager or elsewhere?

Thanks again for your time,

~Trav.~

6. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

This is a dumb question that I overlooked, so humor me, but is your hardware wireless button set to "On" Mine is on the front right of the laptop and sometimes moves by accident. If not, look for a little gray box with three checkboxes on it that should have appeared somewhere in the background. Make sure that the checkboxes are checked.

If that still doesn't help, post a print screen of your device manager with network adapters visible as well as the results of typing "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're not running Windows XP SP2 or later, you need to update. I think there was some wireless capabilities included in SP2. I don't have personal experience with Sony Vaio laptops, but you shouldn't need a separate utility from Sony. You should be using the one in Windows. But you probably need to update first.

8. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

Some manufacturer's require to have their program running in the background even if it is just set to use Windows' config. Stupid, I know, but it happens.

9. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi CompClinicUT-JT,

Yes, I double checked that the wireless switch (called WLAN) is set to "On". This switch on the laptop is also located in the same area as your own. As this switch is turned on, do you still require me to check that "little gray box"? If so, please let me know where to locate this.

And here is a photo of the current device manager, as well as the results of "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/Devicemanager.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/ipconfig.jpg

Do you need any further information?

Thanks again,

~Trav.~

10. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

I see that the little wireless network icon in the status bar is there. When you open it up, what exactly does it say? Can you normally see your neighbor's networks too, or just your own? Send a screenshot if you don't mind.

11. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi CompuClinicUT-JT,

There's actually two wireless icons currently on the status bar, with red x's on them, but one of them is not normally there (I think the extra one appeared because I installed both of the "Wireless LAN" items from the Sony site), so maybe I should ignore that. Here is a screenshot of when I open up that icon on the status bar:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/Network.jpg

Also, I can usually see multiple networks (including my own), so long as they are in range.

~Trav.~

12. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

This is really strange. Can the laptop connect through a wired connection? I'm going to research a bit and get back to you.

EDIT: This is usually what I see when the hardware button is turned off.

13. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

Look for something like the program in this post. I'll keep looking.

14. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

Everything I'm finding points to a software switch being off, or the hardware switch being broken. Check out this post too. Look through all your programs to see if there is anything relevant from sony, as well as check all of the icons on the taskbar.

15. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi CompuClinicUT-JT,

Yes, I think it can connect through a wired connection (with an ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports, and from there to the NETGEAR router), but I would have to install the NETGEAR software to do that. I think when the ethernet cable is plugged in, the "Local Area Connection" will come into play.

Also, I tried switching the WLAN switch (the same switch that you had me check previously to ensure that it was turned on) off, then back on again, but no luck.

It would seem that I always run into the strangest computer-related problems!

Thanks,

~Trav.~

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice