1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet cable from TV to Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverado4, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I want to purchase a good ethernet cable to connect to my smart TV and to my router for a better connection rather then to go wireless.

I'm used to seeing normal "round" ethernet cables, but I've seen "flat" CAT7 cables that my smart tv requires. I need 20 ft.
    I do have a "Lan" connection on the back of my TV.

1. Is 20 ft too long to get good streaming
    2. Is a flat cable vs round just a good as round?
    3. What does the "cat7" do that cat6 or cat5 do? Why the Difference? Upgrade?
    4. Is a direct connection better then wireless, and safer even though my wireless is "locked" for protection.

Do you have any good suggestions on the best cable to get for this (20 ft).

Thanks
    Silverado

2. silverado4

What do they mean by "PATCH" vs regular ethernet cable, or is there no difference.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Any cable will do, a patch cable is just the term for a regular straight thru cable, Ethernet cable is good for 100 meters.

Wired connections are always better than wireless. Ethernet is 'locked' or secure as well, someone would need to come into your house and plug into the the router to get access your network.

CAT5 vs 6 or 7 are specs, CAT 5 is good for 100mbit/s, CAT 5e can go gigabit, CAT 6 is also gigabit but with higher frequencies and better performance, CAT7 can do 10 gigabits per second. Some other differences too but you can read up on those if you're interested at Wikipedia.

CAT 6 is what I'd go with. Doesn't matter if it's round or flat or blue or pink, whatever one suits your need better,

4. silverado4

My user manual on Samsung said "connect a Cat7 Cable, So I guess there is a reason for the they to ask for that (may 3d / 4k? I'll get a flat Cat7, only because the smart TV UHD / 3D asks for it, so I get something special for the 3d and 4k?
    Thanks, I don't want to make a mistake getting the wrong one. It's bad enough that I have to try to get it down my wall to connect to the TV, so I don't want to do it twice. Thanks again.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Patch simply means patch-in - connect - and patch cable is always fitted with connectors at both ends.
    If you purchased just a length of cable it would not be a patch cable.
    2. Hard wired is of course generally less susceptible to interference than wireless. The choice is usually - how far and how difficult the cable run is.
    3. 20 foot - 7 metres is no great distance, but of course as the cable comes with RJ45 connectors, you have to evaluate the size of the hole required if you are going through a wall.
    4. I doubt the TV requires FLAT cable as the only difference is the ease of hiding flat cable underneath the edge of carpet etc.
    5. For the distance you require, you may as well use Cat7 as the cost is not that much greater than 5 or 6
    6. The main difference in Cat7 is that EACH of the four twisted pairs has its own shield jacket. Whereas Cat6 and before has four twisted pairs in a common jacket.
    7. I doubt very much that the equipment actually needs Cat7 as the spec for it is here.
    http://www.xmultiple.com/xwebsite-forum24.htm
    8. I do not know where you are located but there is no need to pay the high prices asked by some computer/electronic retail outlets.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-600Mhz-Shielded-Snagless-Network-White/dp/B00FBTZ80W

6. silverado4

Great information:
    I will take a look, also at Amazon, they have several. I want to make sure I get one that will handle 3d / 4k. I'm assuming that the cat7 will, but I'll check. Thanks again for the great info, I will check the links you gave. For now, this is closed, Thanks to all for the info.
    Silverado over and out.

7. silverado4

I didn't notice the link, it was amazon. THanks

8. silverado4

I just noticed that the cat7 has a "tera" connector, will that fit my router and TV?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then you are looking at the wrong cable, get one with a standard RJ45 connector.

10. silverado4

11. silverado4

I'm assuming "flat" has the same shielded cables.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The description says it is.

13. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

14. silverado4

I ordered it today. Should be hear Friday. Hopefully, I won't have any trouble getting it through the wall for tv, and also for router. All my wires for tv are behind wall. Side note: My wireless vizio router had two wirelessly setups.. One is "Vizio", (2.5 ghz), and one is "vizio HD". Hopefully, I can get the Vizio HD with the new cable. I don't think there is a setting for that when you go Hard Wired. I'll find out.
    Thanks for all you help in this matter.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Wireless modes(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, which this router calls HD but shouldn't) have nothing to do with a wired connection. The 5Ghz band can offer higher performance and is less susceptible to interference over the older 2.4Ghz band, however a wired connection is still better.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice