1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet Cable or Wireless Adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vAero, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vAero

vAero Thread Starter

Wasn't sure if this was supposed to go here or in networking, so I just put it here.

My family recently got a new desktop computer and my parents are putting it in my brothers room, which is near the opposite end of the house where the router and modem is. Should I just tell them to get some retartedly long Ethernet cord, or is there a good enough wireless adapter I could buy? I know direct connections are almost always better, but I don't think there is a store that sells long ethernet cords that stretch across my house, which is pretty big.

2. Hughv

Hughv

It's easy enough to get an Ethernet cable up to 100 meters, and I'd guess that's long enough.
    There are many factors that affect wireless reception, including the construction of your dwelling and the hardware you use, so I'd ask a mod to move this to the networking forum where you might get better help.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you want it to look professionally done you would run it in the attic and inside the walls with jacks and wall plates. For that there are many places that sell 500 or 1000 foot rolls of cable. It isn't too difficult in a one story house, but can be a real pain in a 2 story house.

4. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Preference would be up to them. Professionally looking, I would take a look at the local hardware store and see if they have spools of cat 5 wire and be able to make and install the cable. Either that or you can get a wireless modem/router and try to place it int he middle of the structure as close as possible so that you can get a balanced signal. but you would still have to have a cable feeding the router as well. In a 2 story situation, maybe 2 routers is needed, 1 for the source and the other as a repeater. Preference is key and the final decision is theirs. I would get a cost of materials gathered, add the labor and time vs 1 or 2 router systems and take it from there.

Good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice