1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet Network Switch?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zagreus 360, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zagreus 360

zagreus 360 Thread Starter

hi, I’m goi9ng to get a blu ray player for my room and in order to use the blu ray live part of it i need to connect it to the internet. currently in my room i have a pc and an xbox 360 and just change over the Ethernet lead when i want to use one or the other, but now i would like a more permanent solution so that i don’t have to change over the lead if i want to watch a blu ray disc, go on my xbox 360 or pc. my question is will something like this do the trick?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/33090...roductReviews.html?_SortType=4&go.x=13&go.y=8

if so does anyone know if this will decrease the signal strength that the Ethernet cable carries, as i would still need to be able to play games over xbox live.

thanks for the help

Billy

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    That switch should allow up to four devices to share a single Ethernet connection. It will not weaken the signal to each device.

Whether all three of your devices will connect at the same time will depend on how the device (router?, modem?) is configured at the other end of the existing cable and how each device is configured to use its Ethernet connection.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm guessing the connection is from a router, which would indicate a plain switch should do the trick.

4. zagreus 360

zagreus 360 Thread Starter

yes this is going to be conected to a router, thanks for the help :)

billy

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice