1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LaurieJ31981, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LaurieJ31981

LaurieJ31981 Thread Starter

I have been having a problem with the ethernet for a long time now. I want to upgrade to a wireless router and I guess thats not possible without ethernet, that's what I have been told anyway. My current modem I use with the USB wire. I have a Dell Inspiron 2400, OS is Windows XP. The message I get is "No active Broadcom network adapters detected" there is a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it next to Broadcom 440x 10/100 intergratted controller #2, and next to PCI Device. I have no idea what to do from here. I mean if there is a wireless router I can use that is USB compatible then I have no problem with that, but it seems like I have got no answers from RadioShack and WalMart other then "You need ethernet"

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You are going to need a working ethernet connector in your computer (RJ-45), a wireless router and whatever connects wirelessly will need a wireless card or wireless PCMCIA or USB adapter.

If the existing on-board RJ-45 ethernet in your computer has gone bad, you can install an add-in card to an available PCI slot.

3. LaurieJ31981

Is that something I can do? and is it easy? Do you know of a site that will give me step by step instructions? Thanks for the reply

4. LaurieJ31981

I did some research and I think i'll be ok with putting one in... Thanks for the help again :)

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The modem will also need to connect to the router via Ethernet. If yours doesn't have such a port, you'll need to get a different modem. If it has one, some ISPs require it to be activated separately.

6. LaurieJ31981

"The modem will also need to connect to the router via Ethernet. If yours doesn't have such a port, you'll need to get a different modem. If it has one, some ISPs require it to be activated separately."

That kind of confused me, right now I have my Cable internet through my cable company, I use the USB plug to hook up to it... so if I want to change to a wireless router, without going through my cable company for it, and I need a new ethernet... what should I do exactly, before I go spending money to replace the PCI or whatever, and buy a wireless router. I am new at the whole wireless thing, I have always only had 1 computer and used the USB.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm talking about your modem. If you want to use a wireless router, the modem has to connect to it using an Ethernet cable, not a USB cable. Does your modem have an Ethernet connection? You can tell just by looking at it. The next step is to verify with your ISP that it's active and can be used.

8. LaurieJ31981

Yep, it has both USB and Ethernet... The only reason I am not going through my cable company to do it all, is because they are going to charge me, when i can just do it myself. I am good with directions and learn very quickly, but I am not paying someone to come do it, and then pay 10 dollars a month for their equipment, I'd rather just buy one out right and do it all myself. Now I just need to do what that other person said about the PCI slot, right? is it a PCI adapter? I was looking it up and it seemed pretty simple to install, I was just not sure if thats what its called..

I appreciate all your help... I just got an IPod touch and i'd like to use the wifi feature on it in my house, only reason why I want the wireless router

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I never suggested you go through your ISP to get a wireless router. I said that you might have to work with them to get the Ethernet port on your modem working.

Your computer already has a wired Ethernet adapter. Perhaps the drivers aren't installed. That would be the first thing to try.

10. play4fun

play4fun

You can also use a wireless USB network adapter which I think Alex recommended. I think that would be much easier than having to install a pci card but that choice is your's. The directions come with the wireless router and the USB network adapter. If you follow them then you should have no problems installing it. I bought a wireless router because I have an iphone which has the built in wifi and it's feature to have.

11. Hughv

Hughv

It would be worth trying to fix your existing Ethernet port, if it's possible.
    In Device Manager, rt-click the adapter and select "Uninstall". Reboot and see if it's properly installed. You can also rt-click/properties and select "update driver".
    The drivers are on a CD you got from Dell, or you can download them from Dell.

12. LaurieJ31981

I uninstalled it, and when i rebooted it said found new hardware, so I got the Drivers CD out, and tried everything you suggested and it says it can not find the proper information needed on the CD, I used the Dell Dimensions ResourceCD, it seemed like the only logical one out of the ones I have. Still have the yellow circle with a question mark in it. Any other ideas? and if I get a wireless router with the USB Network adapter I won't any have problems because of the ethernet?

13. Hughv

Hughv

14. LaurieJ31981

I tried everything, nothing is working... I have no clue what else I can do. I tried going to Dell and downloading the drivers using my Service Tag #, did all that and still the yellow circle and exclamation point... and now the one that said PCI is not there.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Dell drivers usually come in a compressed EXE file. When you double-click the EXE, the contents are extracted. Then you either run a setup.exe or go through Device Manager to point the device to the location of the extracted driver files. Are you familiar with this process? Or do you need more details?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice