1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet over powerline...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techboy102, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techboy102

techboy102 Thread Starter

Hi,
    My digital cable and internet provider uses an Ethernet line to carry both into my house. Currently I have an Ethernet cord running to my set top box carrying both digital cable and internet. When it get's to the set top box it split's it up into it's respective places. The Ethernet cord I use is very long and I need to run it along the roof of my house for it to reach the cable box. If I were to use Ethernet over power line would i be able to get everything to work? I'm asking this because Ethernet over power line is usually just used for internet. Would it be able to handle a tv signal and internet signal?
    Thanks

2. warrior19

warrior19

As long as the cable used is standard CAT-5 then yes as Ethernet defines the standard. Which cable company? As that sounds very odd to me here in the UK anyway? Usually here it is a Cable/Coax connector from outside to the set top box/cable modem then ethernet? I use a pair of Powerline Adapters in my house to get from my 2nd floor office to the Ground Floor Router and for 3 years without problems. I admit this is not for TV but Internet only.
    Other people on this forum cannot stand powerline adapters and have had issues so best you keep the receipts!!!

3. techboy102

The cable company is called MTS and i'm sure it only uses ethernet. Do you know of a cheap good pair of powerline ethernet adapters? And which types of problems do people run into when setting up ethernet over powerline?
    Thanks for your quick answer

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I ran into all sorts of issues with two different brands of powerline adapters in a number of locations. OTOH, some folks here plug them in and they run right out of the box.

I agree with the other comment, keep the receipt and make sure you buy from a place you can return them! :D

5. warrior19

warrior19

6. warrior19

warrior19

7. techboy102

Thanks all for the quick posts! and Warrior 19: that Ethernet port is for internet. It runs to my router and is a regular Ethernet cord. Thanks again Everyone!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice