1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet overrides WiFi Internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jkwilborn, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

Hello, I am new, but here goes. First is your output from TSG SysInfo program:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 32643 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 304892 MB, Free - 237708 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, Z77A-G45 (MS-7752)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

You must realize that I live away from the city and only have an iPhone 4 for a hot spot. It connects via WiFi, Bluetooth and USB. I have found USB quicker, but it doesn't seem to work under Windows 8. So I connect via WiFi only. The problem is:

I have a LAN, based on a D-Link DIR-615 router. This router has a WiFi option and has a Buffalo File server attached to the device that we use as a backup/file server and personal 'cloud'. When I am connected via WiFi and I plug in the Ethernet connection, the computer overrides the WiFi and attempts to connect to the Internet via the Ethernet port. It does know that the WiFi is connected as it is displayed on the bottom of the status bar as 'Internet', but choices to ignore or not check.

I have gone to the devices and changed the priority to be Wireless on top and Ethernet on the bottom. This is done via the "Network and Sharing Center", "Change Adapter Settings", ALT-F (to get "File, Edit, View, Tools, Advanced and Menu" options), "Advanced" and finally "Advanced" again. Then put them in the priority you wish. Ethernet still overrides this and times out when I attempt to access anything on the Internet. It works the same on my wife's Windows 7 Laptop. It returns to normal if you unplug the Ethernet cable.

Since I wish to have other files available, it is a pain in the bottom to have to unplug the Ethernet cable every time you change over to do something else and I usually forget and have to deal with the 'can't connect' message.

It might be a simple solution to connect via WiFi to the router then hard wire the computers to the router, but this hasn't been a workable option. The router doesn't seem to be able to handle that type of connection, but if you know how to do this, it might be worth a shot.

Thanks for listening, and I will keep an eye out for an answer. I hope you can help.

Thanks for any help you have to give.

Jack :D

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the ethernet connection you use a static IP (outside the Dhcp server's address range), Mask 255.255.255.0, and leave the Default Gateway and DNS servers blank.

3. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

Terry, thanks for the help. I was surprised that you replied so quickly with a working answer. I'm not sue what I did, but it worked. I assume that we made it outside of the dhcp numbers tell it that this is not an item that it can service, so both know there is no access outside? Or something along those lines.

Thanks, I will mark this solved!

Jack
    (y):D

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In another thread you referred to this one with
    We mis-communicated. The IP needs to be outside the Dhcp server's address range, but still in the same subnet used by the router for the LAN. So, the computer's IP needs to be 192.168.1.x, where x is not the router's LAN address and is not one that could be assigned by the Dhcp server.

For example, if the router's address is 192.168.1.1 and the Dhcp server assigns from 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.199 then your x could be anything from 2 through 99 or 200 through 254.

6. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

Hello... I have a wifi hot spot that is an iPhone 4. I do not have any other means to access the Internet, I do, however have a router wired to different things like a file server. When I plug it in, it goes to the Ethernet port instead of the wifi connection. I've tried to give the wifi a higher priority, but it makes no difference.

Terrynet, advised me to change the IP of the Ethernet port to outside of the range of the router. I did that, foolishly giving it an address of something like 201.010.001.105, which is not what he meant, he meant the last IP group to be outside of the dhcp issued numbers. I went to the signal icon in the task bar and right clicked on it to "Open Network and Sharing Center", this now shows the router connected as a 'private network'. Clicking on the connections 'Ethernet' brings up a status window where you can look at the IP, which never changes. under 'Details'. There is also a 'Properties' button which lets you change the IPv4 address and I have changed that. It doesn't ever seem to take effect.

So, I guess, I'm asking where do I change the IP for the Ethernet port?

Thanks
    Jack

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're apparently changing it at the right place. After hitting OK you also have to close the next (Properties of the connection) window before the change takes place.

8. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

TerryNet, I have backed out and actually re-booted the machine. Everything stays the same. Even where I changed it! I can go back, even after a re-boot and the one I changed is there and the detail shows the original IP that's always been there. I've even tried to look it up via the system help, but to no avail. I can not find any other place to change it, and I don't believe it's being changed. But since it's in the 'configure' area, it keeps this throughout a re-boot but still doesn't let me use the router normally.

Any other ideas? It is not like Windows 7 (Vista), in that it had the same GUI to change it as all others did. This one is slightly different. But doesn't seem to work, maybe a bug? I'll try any suggestions.

I am going to try and search Google for anything that I can find, again...

Thanks...

Jack

9. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

This is a little different, you can't change it from the configure button! You have to right click, go to the IPv4 high light that entry AND then you can click "Properties" where a normal window appears where you can change it... I'm writing this post with them all connected, so we will see if it works...

Did you follow what I'm saying? If not, let me know and I'll be more concise.

Jack

10. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

TerryNet, I did what you stated and the system seems to be operating properly. I can access all files on the server. Now I just need to test the printer, but it seems to have solved the problem Sorry about all the extra drama, but I just couldn't get the thing to take a new IP.

Jack

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think the confusion was my mistake. I didn't even think about the "Configure" button, and just assumed that you were doing it the only way I know how: select IPv4 - Properties - ... . Sorry.

You're welcome for my help, and I'm glad you found the right path in spite of my confusion. :)

12. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

TerryNet, I don't think it's your fault. When you click on the device, the window has a button that says "Configure" and that's the one I followed and then you have to select the IPv4 option to change it also, it just doesn't work that way round. If I'd selected the IPv4 first, then maybe I'd have seen the other button go active.

I appreciate your time, typical mis communication, if MicroSoft had done it correctly the first time, then this wouldn't be necessary at all!

Thanks

Jack

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice