1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet Switch/WiFi Router Connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OMfromATL, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OMfromATL

OMfromATL Thread Starter

Good afternoon,

I have a networking question.

Can I plug a 5 port Ethernet switch to my DSL modem, connect 2 PCs to the switch, run a cable from the switch to the far end of my house, connect a Wireless n router for WIFI access for my laptop/iPhone and connect another PC, one BluRay player and a couple DirectTV DVRs to the wireless router? Please see attached diagram.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Attached Files:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, but you'll want to configure the remote wireless router as follows, the rest of the diagram is fine.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc. Note that you should use the same SSID and encryption key for the secondary router but a non-conflicting channel. I recommend channels 1, 6, or 11 for use for the best results.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. OMfromATL

OMfromATL Thread Starter

Thank you!

I'm getting the switch tomorrow and I'll tackle this project over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

4. JohnWill

Let us know, should work just fine. :)

5. OMfromATL

OMfromATL Thread Starter

Good morning,

I connected the Ethernet switch per my diagram and it seems to be working but Internet service is intermittent and my Outlook is having trouble: “Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115): 'The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.'”:

I’m assuming I should still do the configuration you recommended above?

Here is the list of components:

Westell DSL Modem Model C90
    TRENDnet 5 port 10/100Mpbs Fast Ethernet Switch, Auto-MDIX & Auto-Negotiation Fast Ethernet Ports. 1.2GPBS Switching Capacity, Non-Blocking Architecture. Plug & Play.
    Linksys by Cisco WRT120N Wireless-N Home Router.

My PCs are working on Windows XP and one laptop on MacOSX

6. JohnWill

Where is Internet service intermittent? Is that for PC 1/PC 2 or just the ones connected to the wireless router? Are wired connections giving you issues, or just wireless ones?

Have you disconnected the secondary router to see if that configuration is somehow affecting things?

7. OMfromATL

OMfromATL Thread Starter

The intermittent Internet service is on all PCs (wired and wireless). I will be on a website and if I click on a link it will not work, I’ll need to refresh or close the browser and launch again. My Outlook will send and receive just once and then it will give me the error message described above. Same issue with web mail.

If I connect the Trendnet switch by itself to the DSL Modem and I plug the PCs to the switch it works OK (wired setup only). DSL Modem -- Trendnet switch -- PCs=OK.

If I connect the Linksys/Cisco Wireless Router by itself to the DSL Modem all PCs work OK (wired and wireless). DSL Modem -- Linksys/Cisco Wireless Router -- Wired/Wireless PCs=OK

The issue is when I have both devices connected to the DSL Modem:
    DSL Modem -- Trendnet switch -- Linksys/Cisco Wireless Router -- Wired/Wireless PCs=BAD/ intermittent Internet service/Outlook issue.

8. JohnWill

It sounds like you have the secondary router configured incorrectly. Are you SURE you disabled it's DHCP server?

9. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

is the secondary set for DHCP Relay?

10. OMfromATL

OMfromATL Thread Starter

Good morning.

I disabled the DHCP on the second router and I’m up and running! Thank you all for your help, this forum is great!!

11. JohnWill

An important step. :D That's part of the procedure. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice