1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hlamb1946, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

I Re-installed windows XP in my p.c, (corrupt file) i used all of the discs that come with my p.c. now i can not access the net (Ethernet) in the Device manager it shows a yellow question mark on Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Sm Buss Controller,and Video Controller. when i right click (Ethernet) it says the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28) when i click install it automatically it wants to connect to the net. under Driver it says driver provider unknown. i have downloaded drivers from Dell with my wife's pc to disc and put them in my pc but no help, i have tried to burn the TSG system info and burn it to discs but can't seem to do it the information that i can find is
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack1

Computer
    Intel (R) 4 CPU 2 80GHz
    2.79 GHz
    1.00 GB of RAM

I also have a :Kernel 32.dll not found that shows up sometimes

I got pretty much all of the above information after hours of phone calls to and from friends who also know very little about Computers but much more than I
    I sure could use some help

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Are you using a recovery disk or a system disk to intall XP?

3. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

I don't have a recovery disc, i have an operating system disc, tools systems software disc, drivers and and utilities disc, and a couple for monitor and dvd. i installed all of those (twice)

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

If it just has SP 1 on it it has to be very old. The disk may be corrupt but I'm thinking it may be the hard drive.

Download and run Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy
    After it runs click File, Publish Snapshot, then paste the link provided here.

I'm going to bed but will look in the morning if nobody else comes by tonight.

5. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

i can't get it to open? it starts and then wants to go online.
    thank you for trying Mark

6. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

maybe it's time for a new Computer, i hate windows 8 but maybe i can find one with 7 on it. it's not fun being old and not liking change. but i am and i don't.

7. Golden_

Golden_

In device manager, under Network adapters, try to right-click the adapters and then uninstall it. Afterwards restart Windows, and then go back into device manager and check once more the status of your Ethernet driver.

Also, your current computer meets the minimum system requirement for RAM and CPU for the Windows 7 OS. So if all else fails and you're looking to migrating to Windows 7, then you could look in to just upgrading the OS but keeping the same computer as that may be an 'inexpensive' choice.

However, Windows 7 could be quite costly as well. If what you do is just general web-browsing and streaming videos, then you may also want to look into the free open-source Ubuntu distribution. Installation is just as convenient as Windows. Though it all depends on how you want to use your computer.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install SP3.

Then install the latest chipset and networking drivers from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. You'll probably have internet access at this point.

9. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

thank you. i have tried to download to this computer (windows 7) and burn to disc but i just can't seem to figure it out, it wants to check THIS computer?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is "It"? Golden_ and I posted several things to do. Which one failed, and why?

11. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

sorry! i was replying to someone else

12. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

I don't know how to find my motherboard or who the manufacture is, i am so far above my head. i did install the disc from charter andit said
    network card not found
    tcp/ip configuration undefined check network card

all of you are great but i am realizing that i am not capable of figuring this out even with all of your help (if it had a carburetor i could fix it) thank all of you for your help

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  14. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

I did right-click the adapters and then uninstall it. Afterwards restart Windows, and then go back into device manager and check once more the status of your Ethernet driver that is what i was saying did not work. if anyone else was doing this i am sure what you said would fix the problem. i just don't know enough

15. hlamb1946

hlamb1946 Thread Starter

It is a Dell, thanks that helps (Computer Help) i will look at my motherboard and see if i can find my #
    Dell has not been much help for me and hard to find someone to ask questions. i will get all of the info that i can from my pc
    one question is the network card part of the motherboard?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice