[SOLVED] ethernet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mls1282

OK, I ordered a computer a few weeks ago, and I recieved it a few days ago. I looked on the network settings and it said that an ethernet card was installed, but I didn't see a port for the ethernet cord. I don't want to risk opening my computer and messing it up somehow, so can I get a conformation if I have to get an adapter or not.

M

go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/network adapters/expand it. Is a network card listed

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, just my two centavos, but if you've looked at the rear of the computer and front/or sides where your other ports are, and you don't see a place to plug an ethernet cord in, I'd be calling the company to see what happened to it......especially if your paperwork you received with the computer shows one was installed.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hmmmm....ok, I take back one of my centavos :rolleyes:

mls1282

I went to my control panel and it does have a network card listed... Are you saying I may have to get a USB adapter if there is not a port for the regular ethernet card? I am hoping that there actually is a port behind the metal guards on the back of the computer... Is it common to hide the dang port?

:confused:

What is the exact name of the network adapter listed.

What is the make and model of computer you have purchased.

It could be one of those MOBO come with built in LAN chip with header.

In that case, MOBO manual should say something about optional adaptor sold separately.

TJ

oh yeah, if it helps, I just built a new computer and the mobo had a built-in LAN chip, but really didn't. I think it also said there was one installed in hardware?... but that I don't exactly remember because right away I put a cheap one in so I can't quite distinguish before and after. It also said there was a built in audio chipset but there really wasn't, and in the hardware it said drivers and everything were installed for it, but on the mobo it didn't actually exist, and no sound every came out of the speakers.

mls1282

OK, I bought the computer from american computers inc. based in solon OH. It has a 1.4 ghz athlon on k75a? motherboard with 512 mb pc133 mem. The card is an SiS 900 Pci fast ethernet network adapter. If I get an USB adapter, will it work without a hitch since I have a card inside already?

Thanks,
M

I take it your motherboard is a k7s5a as I can't find the otherone

Here are the specs

chipset which supports a 4X AGP slot for highly graphics display, DDR interface and Ultra DMA 33/66/100 function, provides outstanding high system performance under all types of system operations. The mainboard has a built-in AC97 Codec, provides an AMR (Audio Modem Riser) slot to support Audio and Modem application, and has an built-in 10BaseT/100BaseTX Network Interface (optional). /b]

PROCESSORS

AMD® Athlon (K7) processors
Full series of Athlon/Duron CPU including the future Athlon processors
CHIPSET

SiS® 735 System Chipset
Super I/O and LPC - ITE8705F
System Hardware Monitor: Built-in ITE8705
LAN: MAC integrated in SiS735 & PHY on board (Optional)
AC97 Audio Codec
MEMORY

2 DDR DIMM sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support (can not be used simultaneously)
Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM (DDR200, DDR266) or
Two 168-pin 3.3V SDRAM (PC100, PC133)
Maximum: 1.0GB (DDR or SDRAM)
SYSTEM BIOS

AMI 2MB Flash EEPROM
Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, AMP 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
Full Support for ACPI revision 1.0 specification
I/O INTERFACE

Supports Plug and Play function
PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse connectors
Dual USB Ports and LAN connectors
One - EPP/ECP mode parallel port
Two - 16550 high-speed serial I/O ports
Audio Ports (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in, CD-in and game port)
Dual PCI IDE interfaces - support four IDE devices (PIO mode 4, DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA 33/66/100)
Supports 360K~2.88M Byte, 3 Mode FDDs or LS120
ATX Power Supply Connector
ports, Headers and Others:
IrDA Cable header
Extra USB header
Two CD-In headers
Front Panel MIC/Line-out header
HDD LED, ACPI MSG LED, Reset Switch, Power Switch headers
CPU and Case Fan headers
Modem Ring Wake Up Header
RTC & BATTERY

SiS® 735 included 256 bytes of CMOS SRAM
With CMOS SRAM hardware clear jumper
EXPANSION SLOTS

5 PCI slots, 1 4X AGP slot, 1 AMR slot

FORM FACTOR

ATX (304mm*244mm), 4 Layers
http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/products.htm

mls1282

So... what would be a reasonable price for a good ethernet card???

M

look at the back of your machine, you will see on the left the keyboard and mouse connectors. Right next to them going right should be the two usb connectors, is there an rj 45 connector on top of the usb ports.
Should be, you should just be able to hook in there with cat5 cable

mls1282

So wait... if I open up my computer and take the metal covering off, I will be able to hook up the ethernet cord into that jack beside the usb port?? There is an indention by the USB ports, and beside that it says USB1 USB2/TEL. But it is covered by the case. How would I efficiently remove the case cover and hook everything up without frying my computer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online