1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: EU Browser Choice

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nore MacNala, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nore MacNala

Nore MacNala Thread Starter

I (possibly foolishly) allowed Microsoft Update to install KB976002 on my XP system.
    As expected when restarted the browser choice screen appeared but did nothing no mattter which button I clicked.
    I use IE8 on this machine and wanted to keep my choice so I clicked the INSTALL button after confirming that I was connected to the internet. Nothing happened. You can cancel the choice screen but it keeps returning whenever XP is rebooted.
    KB976002 cannot be uninstalled.
    How do I get it to act on my choice?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This was forced on Microsoft as a result of the Court case, which meant they MUST offer a choice of browser.
    You of course did not need to select IE8, as you already had it.
    By clicking the install button, you were telling the system to install IE8.
    Knowing what it was I simply closed it, deleted the desktop shortcut and it has not ever "COME BACK on the screen"
    It is only supposed to come on, the first time you boot, after installing the update, when it activates IE and takes you to the choice.

As you say, the update KB976002 cannot be uninstalled.
    If it continues to trouble you the registry key can be deleted.
    ENSURE you establish a restore point FIRST
    Link with registry key.
    http://www.netprotocol.net/story/51

3. Nore MacNala

Nore MacNala Thread Starter

Thanks for that. On another system clicking the link to install IE8 when IE8 is installed produces a message that IE8 is installed and it quietly closes and removes the shortcut on the desktop. Maybe Windows XP is different.
    I have removed the shortcut as you did and it has not reappeared.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice