1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Even Boot CD shuts down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fuelman, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fuelman

Fuelman Thread Starter

I'm running windows XP. The neighbor kid was loading a game and the system locked up.
    I used F8 but none of the safe modes or last configuration etc would work. I was able to boot once from my Windows install disk and removed the offending game and ran some basic cleanup utilities.
    Still won't launch windows.
    When I try to boot again from the disk, it begins to load files and then when loading the keyboard, the screen goes blue and the machine powers off.
    Any help?

2. Duckman69

Duckman69

ouch that sucks...

you dont have the CD for a windows i guess?

you can try getting another restore windows cd ask on a new thread i heard a few well known members mention a site or 2 for it i just dont recall the thread or websites... maby you will have luck with that...

you may want to back up the files to another pc using your drive as a secondary drive in the other machiene, then format the drive from my computer by right clicking on the drive & click format... then try to reinstall windows... dont do this if all you have is the boot disc... maby you can borrow a reinstall cd for your system from some1...

i cant think of much else bout to crash out now ill post back another time hope you get it fixed though, later...

3. tony007

tony007 Banned

If you can back up your drive to another machine do a low level format using kill disk http://www.killdisk.com/ and then reinstall the operating system.

4. Fuelman

Fuelman Thread Starter

The CD I am trying to boot with is the Windows Install CD. Since I can't boot the machine in order to do a backup to another drive, I may just have to try the format options.

5. Fuelman

Fuelman Thread Starter

It looks like I missed something in the reply's: I didn't know I could use this drive as a secondary drive for another PC; how do I do that?

6. tony007

tony007 Banned

This has been discussed before http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/360473-how-do-i-move-files-2.html but if you are not sure I would go another route and copy all you need off the drive and save it to cd's or a mass storage device or external harddrive. Then do the low level format with kill disk and then reinstall your operating system.

7. tony007

tony007 Banned

8. Fuelman

Fuelman Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I learned a ton about saving my data. In the middle of teying some of these things I found that the real problem was the breaker popping on the power supply because I had the tower jammed in a tight space in an upstairs room. It sure performs better when I let it breathe.:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice