1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Event ID 4625 not being logged in event viewer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by msantas, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msantas

msantas Thread Starter

From what I understand about the event log in Windows 7, when someone tries and is unsuccessful when logging into the computer the event log should record an event id 4625. However this is not happening at either of my Windows 7 Ultimate machines. I found an identical thread about this problem where the user found a solution but did not specify what is was.

http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/995501-solved-event-id-4625-not.html

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are you creating a Custom View ? Be sure that you have selected 'By Log - Event Logs: Windows Log, Security. Then except for the Event ID field, everything should not be checked.

3. msantas

msantas Thread Starter

I was not looking under a custom view. I right clicked My Computer, went to the management console, opened event viewer, then windows logs, then security. It shows my login and logoff events (4648 and 4647) but nothing for unsuccessful logins when I type an incorrect login password to test it. Should the event viewer be giving a 4625 event id if the user types an incorrect password at the login screen?

4. msantas

msantas Thread Starter

Ok I figured it out. I did not realize that by default logging of this event is not enabled. You have to enable it by going to administrative tools, local security policy, then audit policy and enable it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice