1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Event log service will not start - error 126

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mctoshiba, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mctoshiba

mctoshiba Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I'm having a problem with my wireless networking on XP whereby no wireless networks can be found. Basically it says "one or more wireless networks are in range", but when i click the bubble it shows no networks at all, even when i refresh. Normally it shows my home network (access point about 15 metres away) along with around 3-5 other networks from various neighbours. The issue is on the desktop PC not the access point as the laptop i'm typing this from is connecting fine.

After spending many hours trying everything I can find on forums related to this issue and ruling out solutions one by one, i've narrowed it down to a probable specific issue with something called the "event Log Service". From browsing forums I think fixing this issue will fix my problem - either way it's definately giving an error message that sounds not nice.

Under Computer Management - Services. The Event Log is set to Automatic, but is not running. I try to start it, it gives the following error:
    "Could not start the Event Log Service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module cannot be found". A similar error occurs with something called "Task Scheduler" in the same place - except this time the second part is "Error 1717: The interface is unknown".

Does anyone have any ideas re how to reinstall these components or otherwise fix this computer? I do not want to have to reinstall windows etc. As I mentioned tried finding an existing solution online but nothing works - I have tried all the obvious things like removing and reinstalling the wireless network driver etc.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. mctoshiba

mctoshiba Thread Starter

Hi JohnWill,

Thanks for your reply, tried it but unfortunately it didn't help at all. Still getting those same two errors under Computer Management, and still can't connect to wireless network.

Do you (or anyone else) have any more ideas?

Thanks
    Matt

PS Just so people what what i'm refering to by Computer Management - you right click on my computer and pick "Manage".

4. mctoshiba

mctoshiba Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I wasn't able to get a working answer from here here unfortunately, but kept searching online and found an answer that worked and was quite simple. Thought i'd post it here incase anyone else with a similar problem comes across this thread.

Basically as it turns out the file eventlog.dll had been quarantined by my virus scanner - not sure why but it had.

I downloaded a new copy from here:
    http://www.driverskit.com/dll/eventlog.dll/769.html

Then copied it into the C:\windows\system32\ folder. Someone on a site I found mentioned it would need to be "registered" but in my case I didn't need it.

I then went into the Computer Management console (right click on My Computer, select Manage, Services & Applications, then Services. Found Event Service, right clicked and selected Start. It started this time. I then sorted by the Startup Type field and right clicked to start every one that said it was Automatic but wasn't running. All now started except two (mostly unrelated issue i believe).

Restarted the computer, and volia, all working again including my wireless networking!
    Matt

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd get rid of whatever AV you're using! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!