Solved: event viewer logs errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

basic689

First off let me say sorry for my grammar.
so my problem is a person from microsoft called my home and said was i aware that my pc had a security threat and then proceeded to tell me to go too my event viewer and showed me 49 thousand plus system events with tons of errors and there was alot errors in the application logs. also he showed me something about hkkeys missing or something like that.

From what i can tell from the dates this might of started when i went from xp to windows 7 which i'm not sure i did right now what i did was got home with the windows 7 and put the 64 bit disk in and installed it then that was somewhat ok but i was having issues with it and older programs so i decided to install the 32 bit version instead and everything seems to be working fine untill i get this call.

He eventually explained that i needed microsoft security essentials for windows 7 for the registered oem number and said it would cost $450 from the store or $229 online which wouldn't that all come with the new windows 7 cd and he said even if i reformatted i would still continue to have this issue how can that be i don't know. so any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you need more info let me know.

Sounds like a scam to me - is your computer running ok, and do you have any anti virus software installed? Microsoft does not monitor your computer like that and call you proactively.

basic689

i do have antivirus its total defense its updated and running pc seems to be running ok but i do see every time i get on the net and then go look at the event logs there are more errors for that time i'm on the net also which i forgot untill this morning he showed me that there was all of the microsoft services has stopped as well when you look at the services tab in the task manager

basic689

Ok at this point after seeing this from microsoft website http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytip...spot-fraudulent-tech-support-phone-calls.aspx i'm fairly confident that this was a scam if anyone gets this kind of call just hang up what really scares me is he had me let him remote login i watched everything he did and he didn't go into anything private on my pc just my event viewer but what did he do that i don't know of.
I'm currently running the malicious software removal tool and so far it hasn't found anything yet so im hoping all is good and i take this as a learning experience but i still can't believe i almost bought it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts