1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Everything can use the wireless network except my laptop!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BlackGarden, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackGarden

BlackGarden Thread Starter

We've recently set up a new access point on our wireless network. Everything (fiancé's mum's laptop, the Wii, and our DS's) connects to the Internet just fine through the wireless... except of course, my computer.
    If I move my computer to the other side of the house and use the other access point, it connects fine. The two wireless access points use the same SSID but are (almost) out of range of each other and use non-conflicting channels (6 and 11 - I'm told these are non-conflicting). However, on this side of the house, with the new access point, my computer can detect the access point with a high signal, can connect to it, but cannot connect to the Internet through it.
    So far, I've tried:
    Turning off all firewalls on my computer.
    Assigning a static IP within the address range of the network.

And that's it I'm out of ideas! Does anyone have any other ideas we could try, or know of any security settings that are tucked away which could be causing this? My laptop is on Vista, and normally uses ZAP firewall, though as I mentioned, I did try disabling this.

Oh, I somehow fixed it. No idea how ^^(y)

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

If it is a secured network, are you using the correct key/password? Do both of those access poing use the same security scheme?

3. invalidusername

invalidusername

For each access point do this (make sure you are connected to different access points not the same, when you do this):

Start-Run type CMD Click OK

type IPCONFIG /ALL press enter

right click in that window copy and paste EACH RESULT here

4. invalidusername

invalidusername

Please tell us what was worng.

5. BlackGarden

BlackGarden Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!