1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Everytime I right click adobe reader installs....

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Skymx99, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skymx99

Skymx99 Thread Starter

I recently had a problem start that I have no idea what is going on.

I am running Vista Ultimate:

When I right click my mouse instead of bringing up the normal right click menu, i dialog comes up say that adobe acrobat is installing. I can cancel it and right click again and everything is fine. I have ran the avast virus scan and only found 3 trojan horses. I also removed the battery on my motherboard and reset my BIOS but it still keeps happening.

Also one other thing....

When I restart my pc, itunes will not open. I have to uninstall and then reinstall it to get it to work. Any suggestions?

2. joeten

joeten

hi could this be moved to security &hj please op says he has had 3 tj but still has problems after removal thank you

3. horsecharles

horsecharles

I'm willing to bet it's not malware-related...those exact problems are not infrequent... and after all this time software authors still don't have a complete grasp on Vista.

I have some answers and solutions for both problems-- some depend on your exact answers below:

Firstly, be careful what you allow a security app to remove-- often it's a false positive that breaks other things.

1. Please state every single Adobe program installed, along with version number.

2. IFFFF Adobe Reader is the only one, are you willing to accept a competing alternative?

3. Did you EVER delete anything Acrobat(even if only a shortcut or icon) "in a non-uninstall manner"?

4. Subset of above-- if you have disabled some Adobe startup or background process-- how / with which app did you do it(trying to discern if entry was disabled as opposed to outright deleted).

As we fix Adobe, one of the steps will fix iTunes as well.

4. joeten

joeten

hey i hope your right but i felt it better to be safe than sorry so thats why i asked for security if nothing came of it well it was some time wasted but if they find anything it could be a help to get it out

5. Skymx99

Skymx99 Thread Starter

Thanks for your willingness to help.

1. I have the entire adobe master collection installed. I chose not to install acrobat when I installed the others because I already had it.

2. I am willing to try an alternative, but would like to get this fixed and use acrobat if possible.

3. I am not sure if I have or not. It is a possibility though.

4. There are several adobe files disabled from my start up. (I didn't include the full path of these files, instead just their name and actual file name.

- Arcotray- Adobe Acrobat: Acrotray.exe
    - Adobe Acrobat: Acrobat_sl.exe
    - Adobe Acrobat: reader_sl.exe
    - Adobe CS4 Service Manager
    - Adobe Updater
    - Adobe Version Cue CS4

I'm sure that one or all of these should probably be enabled?

6. Skymx99

Skymx99 Thread Starter

I also want to add for the itunes problem that when I double click on it I get the "preparing to install" dialog as well. I can let it run and it still will not open.

7. horsecharles

horsecharles

Nothing at all wrong with your suggestion, joeten-- we can still do this in Security. The more 'doctors' diagnosing, the better for the 'patient'. (y):)

8. horsecharles

horsecharles

You very well could have malware... we can move this to Security...OR you could crosspost there with your HT log...
    BUUTTT....
    1. I install a lot of apps-- and often have false positive headaches with a lot of security apps(alerting about software i know for a fact is not a risk-- often for years, despite repeated requests not to blacklist)-- avast is "one of the ones" i ended up tossing for that reason.
    Now, i'm not advocating that course of action-- that's a matter of personal preference / one can always add an app to its ignore list.

2. Adobe has had a documented problem-- even before Vista arrived...for years in fact-- i've seen it on win9x & xp systems: where if any icon(even from the desktop) or shortcut gets deleted the installer wants to run to repair. It won't run then, but later at odd times: when right-clicking some other icon or file, when manually installing some driver or windows component where the process prompts one to browse to / point to file location.

I would not recommend having to reenable all those startup shortcuts-- who wants to have so many ongoing / unncessary processes consuming resources-- as long as they were not deleted(why i was curious about which startup app / monitor was used for this).
    MAYBE a better solution would be to see if any Adobe component is installed as a Service-- if so, right-click it / properties / set to Manual:
    Start / RUN / type services.msc / click Enter. If RUN is not present there, you can find it in Start / Programs / Accessories.

3. Another / most likely possible cause for both Adobe & iTunes is UAC / installing with sufficient user rights, resulting in incomplete / buggy installs(insufficient permission to write to / edit necessary registry keys or access system files for instance)...the result is the installer constantly gets triggered to install / repair.

A.Disable UAC-- either with your favorite tweak app or look here: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
    B. Download and install Subinacl from MS: http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/...56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en
    Then copy the following in your favorite text editor / word processor, and save as permit.cmd

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Right-click that permit saved file / Run as Admin(or just run it in Elevated Command Prompt:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...th-administrator-privileges-in-windows-vista/).
    Reboot.
    Now run the Apple / Adobe installers-- preferably latest versions-- in same Run as Admin manner.

C. Always try to install programs only with an admin strength-level windows user account.

D. Always try to run all .msi / .exe installers(& any reg / inf / cmd / etc.) by right-clicking / Run as Admin.

4. Sometimes just updating the apps in question will cure those problems-- but you may need to do it just this time in the following manner:
    DON"T use the app's updater, instead find a higher version number-- even if only a Beta: filehippo.com is good at providing the very latest release for many apps-- and download the FULL package as opposed to smaller web install file... then "Run as Administrator".

5. Run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    Instructions are on that page as well...you would find all Adobe & Apple entries to repair.
    Reboot.
    This fixes the problem BUT has been reported to disable ability to update Acrobat.

6. Can also serve as alternative to #5 warning btw. Find all instances of this file:
    {AC76BA86-1033-0000-7760-000000000003} and rename by adding a couple of characters you will remember..in case you need to reenable, you will need to restore that exact name.
    Search in Program FIles\Adobe or Acrobat and in Windows\Installer.

Note: for this step, give me more time to find all other pertinent adobe / apple files.

7. Empty all TEMP / TMP / CACHE / Temporary Internet Files folders found in both root drive & Windows. As well delete pagefile.sys located in root drive and maybe also in Windows...then reboot'(don't worry, system will recreate new / clean pagefile). This will get rid of any installer hung in endless loop.

8. App for when system doesn't allow deletion / renaming of a particular file / folder:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

9. horsecharles

horsecharles

Small addendum:

A. Try as a quick exception, to install these apps in question "while any main security apps that you think might get in the way are disabled"...from firewall to AV to spyblockers to innoculators to startup monitors.... and/or...
    B. Ensure that none of them block 'silently / automatically / without asking you first'.
    Couple of examples-- spywareguard / spywareterminator would silently block part of the install of Sonic burning engine... no warning,
    i regularly have to add folder / file exceptions to AV for non-malware apps.
    You'd think this is not necessary for such well-known brands-- but all it takes is some known malware utilizing the identical name of a file of one of these apps / or even one of its files, or not liking the decompression method used / or some other behavior during the install process

Step #5 can take a long, long time to run.

Let's as much as possible try to disable within Settings of each program...of course, that often is a useless exercise.

And speaking of disabling-- any third party app would be preferable to MSCONFIG, which would constantly trigger additional annoying popups / warnings of its own.

re Step #6-- more than likely won't need to resort to it-- is beyond my scope to find all(save for iTunes) unless i were to install everything also:

it's a tedious job of exploring each file(in Windows\Installer)-- and hoping that a Creator name is listed-- it often isn't...so you have to look for / try to match / recognize the icon provided to the one for your app in question. These folders are located in program home / subfolder, windows\installer, maybe a copy in some temp installation folder, actually anywhere the software author chooses-- USER, AppData, Program Data, etc.... a Search is needed to find all.

10. Skymx99

Skymx99 Thread Starter

thank you very much. I will try these steps when I get home from work.

11. Skymx99

Skymx99 Thread Starter

Thanks you so much. Step five worked like a charm. (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice