1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ewido and Spysweeper

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mledbetter22, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mledbetter22

mledbetter22 Thread Starter

What are the standard settings that you should have when scanning with ewido and spysweeper or just having them on your computer in general? I downloaded them about a month ago to help with something and I have used them sparingly since. Please let me know what settings I should have on/off, ect whenever you have a chance. Thanks so much.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Both of those programs have trial versions as well as pay-for, we are generally working with the trial versions here.

The updates expire but the programs will continue to work, though you will have no protection against the newer malwares.

SpySweeper has some flexibility:

For a real heavy duty full scan have it this way, and scan in Safe Mode (to look for Rootkits etc) But> you have to make the changes in Normal mode first, then boot up in Safe Mode!

Update to the latest definitions. (The free version does not update after the 15 day trial period, so I am assuming you have the paid for version installed).
    Once the definitions are installed, click Options on the left side.
    Click the Sweep Options tab.
    Under What to Sweep please put a check next to the following:
    Sweep Memory
    Sweep Registry
    Sweep Cookies
    Sweep All User Accounts
    Enable Direct Disk Sweeping
    Sweep Contents of Compressed Files
    Sweep for Rootkits-Make sure you DO check to do this one!
    Please UNCHECK Do not Sweep System Restore Folder.

You should do the scan in Safe Mode.

That's the way I usually keep it set. There are times you have to turn the shields off to make changes,this is how you do that:

http://forums.techguy.org/security/110854-security-help-tools.html

Scroll down the page to the RED link about "Temporarily turning off protecion programs when fixing malware", it explains how to turn things off when you are scanning or fixing malware....

Here are the steps for SpySweeper:

Open Spysweeper and click on Options > Program Options and uncheck "load at windows startup".
    On the left click "shields" and then uncheck everything there.
    Uncheck "home page shield".
    Uncheck "automatically restore default without notification".
    Exit the program.

NOTE: If you are going to also use Microsoft's Antispyware, that program is also protective and blocks changes, so it also has to be sometimes turned off so that other programs work correctly.

Ewido:

When we first have users get and install it, we advise setting things this way: Since it is a trial version, we dont use the background protection. I usually have it turned off, not running all the time- there is a setting to do that inside the program. A box to uncheck I believe, havent got one right here to look at!

Install ewido.
    · During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
    · Launch ewido
    · It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen
    · On the left side of the main screen click update
    · Click on Start and let it update.
    · DO NOT run a scan yet. You will do that later in safe mode.

Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in safe mode:

How to get to Safe Mode in XP:

Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
    Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter

Run Ewido:
    · Click on scanner
    · Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    · During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK
    · When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
    · Save the report to your desktop
    This will take some time to run!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice