1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2000 - non-volitile date function sought

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by needsleep, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needsleep

needsleep Thread Starter

Creating a To Do list, I would like to insert a non-volatile date as the date this task was assigned. 1/23/06 would be fine. Can I do that using a function? I checked http://www.officearticles.com/excel/index.htm - didn't solve my specific need, but I did learn there the concept of "volatile". Thanks.

2. needsleep

needsleep Thread Starter

Answering my own question --

Google search on [excel and "non-volitile date"] returned a single hit and answer in another forum(?) Quoted here, but abridged:
    [posted on: May 30, 2003 1:02 PM by kevlinbert]
    The easist way to enter a non-volitile date is with a quick macro:

Alt F11 to open the vBasic editor
    Double click on the Workbook item in left hand window, then paste the following into the window on the right hand side:

Sub Todays_Date()
    ActiveCell.Value = Now()
    End Sub

Close the editor and return to Excel, then chose Tools/macro/macros... and 'Options' to give it a shortcut.

This will paste the current date (and time) into the active cell."

Then to format to 1/23/06, highlight the column, right click, format cells, category date,
    type 3/14/98.

3. bomb #21

bomb #21

The easiest way to enter "the date", non-volatile style, is to use the existing keyboard shortcut CTRL+;

Rgds,
    Andy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice