1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2003 Command Button, Can't Delete

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dan01770, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan01770

Dan01770 Thread Starter

There’s a command button on my spreadsheet that can’t be deleted at least through ordinary means. This is what I’ve tried:
    1. The straight forward way by right clicking the button, then selecting cut. Some processing takes place, but the button remains.
    2. Again the straight forward way by right clicking the button then hitting the delete on the keyboard. The same thing happens.
    3. Just for fun, I moved it from is initial location to another location on the same spreadsheet. Now there are two identical buttons that can’t be delete.
    4. I don’t know why, but I did it again. The new button that appears can be deleted, but not the other two.
    5. Assigned a different macro to each of the two buttons and each worked properly, but still the buttons can’t be deleted.
    6. Copied the original to another sheet. It was easily deleted, but still can’t delete the first two buttons.
    7. My final try was to use the Visual Basic Editor to see if there’s a macros embedded in the sheet itself. No, nothing there.

Can’t think of what else to try, except to ask for help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    moved to business applications forum

sounds like you have more than 1 button

you may be deleting a top button and just have lots of buttons on top of each other

keep deleting

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    You have to probably have to select design mode, then these other buttons can be deleted too.
    Check Help how to set your sheet / file to design mode.

4. Dan01770

Dan01770 Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion. Tried it. After many, many attempts of deleting the button, it remains. Somehow it seems to regenerate itself. What I decided to do is insert a new sheet and cut & paste data to it avoiding area with the troublesome button. Created new buttons that behaved as the should. Can’t imagine what cause that problem.
    Dan

5. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Okay, but is the issue solved?
    Maybe there was a macro that was triggered when the file opens, did you check that?
    If it's solved, don't forget to press the 'Mark Solved' button.

6. Dan01770

Dan01770 Thread Starter

No, the cause of the problem was not found. I did try going to design mode, but that didn’t help. I also went through all 26 sheets with Basic Visual Editor checking for macros, none found. And did the same for the many macros written and searched them for the word “button.” Here again found nothing that would cause this problem. The mystery remains unsolved.

7. Dan01770

Dan01770 Thread Starter

No, the cause of the problem was not found. I did try going to design mode, but that didn’t help. I also went through all 26 sheets with Basic Visual Editor checking for macros, none found. And did the same for the many macros written in the modules and searched them for the word “button.” Here again found nothing that would cause this problem. The mystery remains unsolved.

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Did you also check the sheet projects?
    Somewhere along the line a mcros is triggeres, Workbook_Open or similar, If your file doesn't contain private or sensitive data you couold attach a sample else read my PM

9. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    There are about 981 buttons on the sheet that seem to regenerate 'out of the blue' :confused:

I place the code below in Module one and if you run it it deletes all the buttons and now it seems they do not come back.

Don't aske me how is was done no code visible, to me

Code:
    Sub btn()
    Dim x As Integer
    On Error Resume Next
    For x = 1 To 1000
            ActiveSheet.Shapes("Button " & x).Delete
    Next x
    Err.Clear
    On Error Go To 0
    End Sub

I hope this helps you out.

10. Dan01770

Dan01770 Thread Starter

I should of check the forum be replying to your email. Thank very much for your help.

Dan

11. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    No problem :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice