1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2003: Formula Cell Becomes Text After Mod.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by balloon_tom, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. balloon_tom

balloon_tom Thread Starter

I have a large workbook (over 4 meg) with multiple sheets and lots of formulas. Today, I was trying to change a cell formula and instead of placing the result in the cell, the formula was placed in the cell and displayed as text, complete with the '=' sign in pos 1. The Evaluation tool states that the cell contains a constant.

The following is an example. The original formula and the mod with the changed component in red.

Original cell formula: =SUM(INDIRECT("T$"&MATCH($V1265,$V$2:$V1265,0)&":T"&ROW())). The cell result is a number.

modified cell formula: =SUM(INDIRECT("T$"&MATCH($V1265,$V$1:$V1265,0)&":T"&ROW())) . The cell displays the formula, exactly as shown, as text and therefore no result.

Has anyone ever encountered this before and is there a solution?
    Thanks, Tom

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi Tom,

If you select the formula and look in the formula bar, is there anything like a single apostrophe ' sign to the left of the equal sign? If so, take it out. Also make sure the format isn't set to Text.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I copied and pasted both formulae and they behaved as formulae, not as text, for what it's worth

4. exegete

exegete

What is in V1 and V2? And how is each formatted? IS V1 a heading for the column?

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

A note about the formatting. If the cell is formatted to text prior to entry (or re-entry if removed) it will show as text and generally will not if formatted after entry.

6. balloon_tom

balloon_tom Thread Starter

Hi guys,I'm finally back. First V1 and V2 are integers. The column was formatted as text. I changed it to general and it looks like the poblem is solved. Thanks all!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice