1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2003 VBA assistance required.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kaputcha, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaputcha

kaputcha Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have an enourmous list of information I need to be able to quickly search through and find information associated with individual entries.

I've been trying to teach myself a little VBA code, but I'm afraid I'm not getting very far at the moment.

I have a attached a sample workbook. In sheet 2 I have all the information. Sheet 1 will be where a search is made. I want to search by CABLE_ID, and return all of the information for that cable EXCEPT SUPERFLUOUS_INFO.

Is this possible, and is anyone able to show me some code that would work for this example?

Hopefully I've explained this clearly enough.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Welcome to the board.

1. What's "enormous"?

2. Do you have to use VBA? You can pull info with just formulas (use the Lookup!A2 dropdown in the attached to select CABLE_ID)

Attached Files:

3. kaputcha

kaputcha Thread Starter

Thanks bomb.

Enourmous isn't the right word. The sheets that I'm working off are large, but they include a lot of information that isn't neccessary to the task at hand.

I was probably trying to be a little too tricky using Visual Basic. I was having trouble with the lookup formulas initially, as it's been a long time since I have done anything like this.

Your example is really helpful, and I'll have a play around with it and let you know how I get on.

Thanks, mate!

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

The Lookup!A2 dropdown uses a dynamic named range IDs which is defined by a formula as follows:

=OFFSET(Cable_stuff!$A$1,1,0,COUNTA(Cable_stuff!$A:$A)-1,1)

See here for details ("As new items are added, the range will automatically expand") -- HTH

5. kaputcha

kaputcha Thread Starter

Bomb,

Thanks for all the help. I've got it all working now, the information was really helpful. :)

Cheers!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice