1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2007 Tune-Up

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by floydcojacket, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. floydcojacket

floydcojacket Thread Starter

Is there any way to refresh or tuneup Excel 2007.
    I can't get my printer to print some of the Excel worksheets. Printer seems to be doing it's job, but it appears that Excel isn't. Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello,

Can you describe a little more about what is happening? There isn't really a "tune up" of sorts for Excel. If there's a problem there's a problem, it's not like an engine. :)

3. floydcojacket

Thank you for your reply Zack,
    The problem is as I posted in a previous post, I'm having trouble getting worksheets to print.
    I'm using Windows 7, MS Office 2007, the computer is about a year & a half old as is the printer which is a HP C309a.
    In any given workbook, when I go to print a worksheet, some of them will go on and print as desired,
    Some won't. I can copy and paste the ones that won't print, to a new workbook and then printing works.
    Don't think it's my printer since all drivers are updated and it prints in all other areas of need.
    As crazy as it may sound, I believe its my Excel 2007 causing the problem.
    BTW, the worksheets that won't print, I get a dialog box message telling that they can't be printed.
    Reasons are possibly not enough memory, networking, etc.
    I've had the computer tech here twice in the last two weeks, but he can't find the problem either.
    I've un-installed the printer and re-installed it twice.
    Windows does an update daily, cables all seem to be working well.
    Wife has a laptop that is wireless and it prints her Excel data w/no problems.
    I'm "BEFUZZLED"
    can you help?
    Thank you

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

First off I would check the Print Area of those worksheets. Probably the easiest way is to go into Page Break Preview. You can do this by clicking on the View tab and clicking the Page Break Preview button near the left side. You may get a warning dialog box, just click by it. Everything that is grayed out is NOT in the print area.

To clear a print area, click on the Page Layout tab, click the Print Area menu button and select Clear print area.

You could also very well be utilizing all your memory. Here is some good information regarding memory leakage and your graphics card: http://dmcritchie.mvps.org/excel/slowresp.htm#gdi

I would also double check the driver you've installed and re-installed is in fact the latest driver. This might be the issue, hard to tell though.

Here is some more information regarding this issue, although I didn't see your specific printer listed (which doesn't necessarily mean that isn't the cause though): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165985

HTH

5. floydcojacket

Thanks again Zack,
    I'll get right on checking out the links you provided.
    re: "print area", I use that very much so. I have a habit of highlighting the area to be printed, then I go to set print area but I always do the clear print area first, then do the print area. Just a habit, that's all.
    I have NOT used the VIEW, PAGE BREAK PREVIEW though, simply because I have never even noticed it being there.
    I'm going to the links now,
    Thanks much.

6. floydcojacket

I went to the HP.com/support and did a full driver install.
    Reconnected cable, but same results.
    This time I did go to the View...Pagebreak.... and found a dialog box stating "Printer not available".
    The list of solutions are the same as the dialog box from before.
    However, this note did also include wording about a memory leak which could corrupt the printer port.
    Not familiar with "memory leak". How would one check for a memory leak?
    Thank you for your help.

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

The term (memory leaks) is fairly vague. In general, it refers to items or processes which use up 'hidden' memory, or specific memory not allocated in RAM. In the Office set of applications, it can be things like excessive formatting, large amounts of conditional formatting, objects/shapes, charts, worksheets not zoomed at 100%, excessive number of workbooks open, etc. The resources (i.e. memory) are set by the operating system. Windows 7 is a very large and robust OS, and with all that horsepower under the hood, it needs enough fuel to drive it (aka memory). When it becomes short on it, corners will be cut. This could be one of those corners.

One thing to try is to ensure no other applications/processes are running when you attempt printing. Or, take your file to another computer and attempt printing from there to the same printer. Since you can print the data from a new workbook, however, it makes me think that you have items in that workbook which are leaking memory.

Sometimes workbooks can be resource hogs, and even sometimes become corrupt. If I ever have a workbook which is unusually slow or becomes corrupt, I'll copy and paste my data to a new workbook, then re-apply my formatting. This ensures a clean start.

Another option would be to limit the number of items which run at startup (for Windows OS). Click Start (or your Windows button) and (click Run in Win XP and previous) type MSCONFIG, click Enter. You can see all the items which are slated to run when Windows starts. As a side note, a computer restart is generally good for starting 'fresh' with your memory.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's much more I can do for you. I would certainly try the file on another machine both on the affected printer and a non-affected printer, just to try and narrow it down.

HTH

8. floydcojacket

Good morning,
    I put some Excel data that I couldn't print on a thumb drive, used it on my wife's wireless laptop and it printed A-OK.
    So, is this telling me my problem is with my computer, or my software?
    Here is some data that may/may not matter about my computer.
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Service Pack 1
    MS Office 2007
    Rating: 3.5 Windows Experience Index
    Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.90 GB Usable)
    System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

It probably is your machine then. I really wonder about your graphics card. With hardware like that, and a WEI of 3.5, seems really low. I'm willing to bet you're being held down by your graphics card.

Do you have many objects on your worksheet? Do you have an enormous amount of unique formatting on your worksheet? Have you tried copying/pasting your formulas/formats to a different workbook and printing that?

If it is your graphics card which is giving you hassle, I would make sure you weren't running other programs in the background which may be utilizing those resources as well, since they're shared resources.

10. floydcojacket

I had the computer repairman here again today for this issue. He nor I are for certain what the problem is due to. He did call HP tech today for a lengthyyyyyyyyyyy conversation about it and learned that this problem is not unique for this printer. Maybe.......maybe not, who knows for sure?
    Since it did work satisfactorily by using my wifes laptop to print wireless from, my repairman changed my desktop from hardwire to network w/her laptop.
    For whatever reason, all works well.
    He had some theories as to why we were having this problem, one being since my desktop is Windows 7 with 64 bit and her laptop is XP with 32 bit, there may be a reason tied in there.
    Long story short, neither of us know for sure, but after networking the two computers, all seems to be doing well.
    I'm going to mark this post as solved, mainly because it is working and I don't know anything else to do.
    I do want thank you for your help and your persistance in solving this issue and I'd like to wish you and your's a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas.

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You know, another thing might be the driver for the printer. I know we mentioned it before, but not all drivers are equal, and 64 bit architecture requires different drivers. There's a good possibility that the driver isn't working as it's supposed to (i.e. not designed well). 64-bit drivers are a pain in the backside. Of course the other option to test would be same computer on another printer (with current drivers and such).

I'm glad you found a workaround though. This sounds extremely frustrating, and I'm glad I'm not in your position! I hate printers, they're always a nexus of confusion for me.

I certainly hope you have a very good holiday season as well!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice