Solved: Excel 2010 crash without warning

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Center

My supervisor and a coworker has experienced this problem, I have not. The issue is that it seems that Excel 2010 sometimes crashes by closing without warning, and when Excel is re-opened, there are no Recovery Files. I was wondering if anyone had similar experience and if you had any ideas what could be causing it:

I was just finishing up my review of (something work related) and had most of the files open. I had saved all but cells 17 and 18. I also had added a sheet to the workbook I use to compare iterations that was highlighting the changes I made. In total, I had 24 excel workbooks open, most from (a project) folder but a couple from a folder on my C drive. Suddenly, all the excel workbooks were gone – no error message, no delay on the monitor. I hit the “save” button with cell18 in the current view and then the only thing left on the ribbon at the bottom of my screen was my Inbox, an open email, and three open folders. Any guess on what happened? I have re-opened a couple of the (project) files and there are no “recovered” file messages. Is the a quirk of Office 2010?
Computer background:
1) Running Windows XP (we're scheduled to go to 7 some time this year)
2) 3 or 4 GB of RAM
3) We had Office 2007 last year, but was upgraded to Office 2010 in November.

24 worksheets Open! Plus what ever else the user had open..Try 23 and see if it happens again;)

Sorry to sound snarky but there are limits (RAM for one). The pagefile has a lot keep up with in the 24 spreadsheet scenerio.

Center

Yea, I know what you mean. We are considering upping his RAM but I think he's already at 4GB so short of moving him to 64-bit Windows (which nobody has), I guess the only solution is for him to keep his open Excel count to something smaller...

If nobody else has any ideas, I'll close this thread by end of day...

Center

Thanks draceplace, our pagefiles are set to "System managed", but currently my pagefile is set to 3GB (same as my RAM). I wonder if a system-managed pagefile can grow as needed.

In any case, he's going to request more RAM:
Open Excel files just disappeared on me again. I don’t see that it would be a memory problem because I had 25 files open and had saved and closed most of them.

[FONT=&quot]I will submit a ticket to be sure I have the maximum memory that my laptop allows but given it happened with only a few files open and that <coworker's name> has had the same thing occur, any suggestions on what we can do to address the problem (other than saving files much more frequently)? Let me know if you have any ideas. Since there are no error messages, there is nothing to send to Microsoft as a record of the issue.[/FONT]
I'm closing this thread as I do believe it's a memory issue and our corporate Windows 7 upgrade is just around the corner.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online