1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2010 does not copy formulas only copies values

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by SanjaySharma, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SanjaySharma

SanjaySharma Thread Starter

Just lately my installation of MS Excel 2010 (on windows Vista, service pack 2) will only copy the values in the cells thus making it impossible to copy formulas. I have tried repairing the installation, but no difference, then tried to uninstall and re install the whole MS office 2010, after which for some time this issue was not there, but has cropped up again. have not, to my knowledge, made any changes to the installation. Is there an option that might have been changed by mistake making this the default for copying cells?

Further when i select a cell(s) i want to copy, the flashing dotted line that should be around those cells is there for only a fraction of second and so is the text in the status bar saying " Go to destination and press ENTER" that comes just for a fraction of a second. When this happens, only values are copies not formulas or referances. Also during this period, if i use format painter, after clicking the format painter, when I move the cursor to the worksheet, the brush does not show, instead its the usual mouse icon and not format is copied to the destination cells.

Sometime when i restart the application, this issue is gone, and then the dotted line stays.. and everything is copied and formats are also painted, but restarting the application in middle of work is very funny ..

is there a setting triggered off ? or is there a fix available to this ? Been using the same installation for over 2years with no issue ..

2. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Have you gone to the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > [select] Microsoft Office 2010 > then Change, and run the Repair Option?

3. SanjaySharma

SanjaySharma Thread Starter

Thanks 202 Many, but i found the solution to this irritating prob on the mozilla site. Wherein someone had stated that this issue comes up when running Firefox with Excel. and I saw that i was having this issue when i was using Chrome with excel. However all was well when i was running IE with excell.

This issue of not pasting formula's and the marching ants disappearing after selection was there when the Skype plugin "SkypeClick to Call" was active. Which was active in Chrome and not in IE. So after disabling the skype extension and plugin in Chrome , all works well !! :) :) :)

4. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Great to know! Thank you for sharing the information! With MSN being replaced by Skype, this is good to know! Have a great day

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice