1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2010 v Excel 2003 Error Valid Range

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Geeta2013, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geeta2013

Geeta2013 Thread Starter

We recently migrated from Office 2003 to Office 2010.

Just to give some background, (and I dont' know if this is relevant to this error), the Office 2003 excel did not accurately show the correct file paths where files were linked. It would show something in the C drive.

The issue I am concerned about today is this: when some users close files in 2010 (files were created in they sometimes get the error below:

'"The name ABE2, either conflicts with a valid range reference or is invalid for Excel. This name has been replaced with _ABE2"

Can someone assist me with this? I need to stop it from appearing and I am not sure how.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i get the same error , if i try and name a range ABE2 - its used by excel - hence the error you get
    but
    not sure what excel uses ABE2 for - a google search did not help

so you have a named range in the spreadsheet called ABE2 from 2003 - which may have been ok in that version

3. Geeta2013

Geeta2013 Thread Starter

thanks Wayne..but I do not have a named range. And this is appearing on multiple files. It seems to be directly related to migrating from a 2003 Desktop to a 2010 Desktop in my case. I've got to figure out a fix.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    looks like something in 2010 uses that term, i cant find what it though
    or perhaps where you are using it

hopefully a excel guru will be by with an answer

5. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Can you attach one of the files? You can replace the information with dummy data if you need to. Excel seems to think you DO have a named range ABE2. Excel columns didn't extend that far in 2003, so that named range was ok. They do extend that far in 2007, so there is actually a cell reference for ABE2, which is what's creating the conflict. There's nothing inherently used by Excel called "ABE2", so it's getting that conflict from something in your workbook. It could be coming from a macro that you don't realize is there, which would explain why it appears in multiple files.

6. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Just for your information
    Excel 2003 and older allowed for 256 columns A-IV
    Excell 2007 and newer that is 16384 columsn A-XFD

So any letter combination that comes inbetween is not allowed as named range anymore and Excel 'helpd' you by adding the _ which makes it valid

ABE2 is column 733 Row 2 and not allowed as named range.

Change the named ranges to all start with an _ and it's over.

I hope it answers your question (a little) I ran into the same issue when I sued my 2003 version files with named ranges and one was by accident in ACO column 769 :)

Happy (re)coding

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

How is a named range being created in 2010? Was this a named range in 2003 of that name? It should be as simple as just changing the name in 2003 to a non-range address name, i.e. appending an underscore pre-fix before it's opened in 2007 or later. Named ranges should not follow the same naming convention as range addresses. There's nothing saying in the future we won't have range AAAA1. :)

8. WendyM

The problem is that Geeta doesn't think the workbook does have a named range. That's why I'm hoping we can get a look at an example to see if maybe the range is being named by a macro that Geeta is unaware of.

9. Geeta2013

Geeta2013 Thread Starter

Unfortunately - I dont' have the Workbook. I am trying to assist someone who for confidentiality reasons wouldn't let even me have a copy...I had 3 minutes to look at it..so this is a blind one..Thanks all

10. WendyM

In that case, the next time you get access to the workbook, press Ctrl+G. In the reference box, type ABE2. That should take you to where the named range is.

You can let Excel just rename the range for every workbook, but finding the named range will at least clarify WHY it's happening, which might help to satisfy the user.

11. Geeta2013

Geeta2013 Thread Starter

Thank you Wendy. I've printed this out and posted it over my desk : )

12. WendyM

No problem, but I just realized I told you the wrong thing. In the reference box, type "_ABE2". Since Excel has already changed it, ABE2 will just take you to the cell. _ABE2 should take you to the range. So please draw a little underscore on your printout. :D

13. Geeta2013

Geeta2013 Thread Starter

Seems as if something else was going on (from the developers' standpoint) that a lowly desktop support person doesn't hear about if it is resolve. thanks guys.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice