1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2010 xlam file not working with Excel 2011 for MAC

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Keebellah, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Hans
    I've searched for issues regarding non-working VBA code written for Excel 2010 and compatibility wit Excel 2011 for MAC.
    I am currently using Addin (*.xlam) files that hold all the necessary code to process multiple files without needing to use the PERSONAL.XLSB and as eliminating the need to copy VBA code to every file that requires.
    This works perfectly with all the Windows Office versions.
    Today a colleague want's to run this same file on a MAC book with Office 2011.
    The moment he opens the Addin het gets an error that a library cannot be found, understandable, but the Tools Reference in the VBA project is also greyed out so I cannot even try setting any reference.
    Does anyone have any experience with this or is this something that needs a complete new approach when it regards Office on the MAC?

I hope somebody can help :confused:

2. XCubed

XCubed

Hi Hans

I'm sure you've tried some of this but just in case ....

I have no direct experience with MAC but googling around it seems that a basic test to find the cause is to de-activate the XLAM, start a blank worksheet and test to see if References are available. If they are then the next thing that Google pointed to was that References are greyed out if either 1. you are in break mode or 2. the VBA is protected.

Break mode would seem to be a likely suspect if one of the macros in the XLAM is set to run automatically.

Again, apologies if you've tried any of this.

3. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Good morning,
    That's a good one, since I do not run it automatically and it works with Windows systems I didn't try that.
    Yes, it is in break mode ans that is one thing I didn't realize.
    I'm back at the office Monday and I'll as my colleague to test it again.
    My Mac experience is 0 so that part is new.
    Thanks (y) I'll let you know.

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    My calleague hasn't been able to test it yet, and I do not have access to a MAC :(

5. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    At last my colleague found the time.
    Well even installing the addin was not the solution.
    I'll just wait 'til they decide to place a MAC on my desk and I'll do my own testing :)
    For now he's going to use the remote login server and run Excel 2010 from there :)
    I'm closing this post even though it's not 'solved'
    Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice