1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 2013 Contacts DB

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kolias, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I’m in the process to make an Excel (2013) contacts address workbook and have all my contacts in Excel now. I would also like to have some kind of a V-card to be able to input new contacts and view existing ones. A typical V-card could be like the one I downloaded from here

http://www.addressbooktemplate.org/form/

I can make my own V-card but the problem I have is how to integrate the V-card to interact with the contacts database I now have.

Anyone can give me some help or perhaps provide an existing template?

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi, if you have your data nicely in columns you could do what I have doen.

I added a workshet that serves as a form and and using macro;'s search and aedit an display the records in this form.

I've attached a screenshot, it's Dutch but it helps to show what I mean.

You will have to do some vba coding and so but works here.

Attached Files:

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thanks Hans for the help, that is what I want but I'm not very good in macros however I will give it a try. Very nice form the one you posted

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    If you can post a sample file with let's say one record and the headers I can see if I can help a little

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thanks Hans, I attach here a sample which I saved in .xls format and not in .xlsx since I dont know which version of Excel you are using. Much appreciated

Attached Files:

6. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

By the way I have no problem designing a form similar to yours but a sample of macro(s) will be appreciated. For your info, my workbook consists of 26 sheets (A-Z). Will the macro be able to get the info from all sheets?

7. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Sorry, 2010 but no problem anyway.
    I imagine that the 29 sheets are one for each of the letters of the alphabet?
    As long as the layout of each sheet is that same (headers and columns in the same order) no problem

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    The macro will have to do quite a lot more, unless you want to show the data as it is in the sheet.
    You've combined Name and company, ne separate firstname, surname, company name, the same with email / web
    This intentional?

9. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    No macro's yet but I added the from sheet

Attached Files:

10. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Yes the sheets are one for each letter but I think it will be better to combine all records into one sheet and have a function to locate / add / view a record. But for your info the layout is the same in all sheets

The combined names it’s intentional but if it’s easier for you to have the names separate, I have no problem to go over and separate them.

I don’t understand why the macro will have to do a lot more unless I want to show the data as is in the sheet. I prefer to view the data in the form you provided but please do whatever is easier for you.

Thanks for the attached form, looking forward to see the results when you have the time

Nicolas

11. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi Nicolas,

Try this one, not everything works but you can scroll.

There is a picklist Cell B2 and there is a spinner, Up is next recor, Down is previous record.
    Only B has data

Attached Files:

12. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thank you Hans for your time, I looked at the BrowseModule and Sheet1 codes and I will print both to study and see if I can understand what is required to complete the rest.

I’m far away from been a programmer but back in 1994 I bought VB5 which I still have along with some books (which unfortunately now I don’t have) to learn some programming but never had enough time to learn enough. I know it’s time consuming to show me what I need but if you can give me some hints as to what I need to do I may be able to complete my task

Nicolas

13. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    All you've got to do now is fill the corresponding sheets with data or copy the form sheet to your workbook and insert the vba module, it will work

14. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thanks, let me copy your work to my workbook and I will come back to let you know the results.

Much appreciated

Nicolas

15. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I finally got it Hans, I struggled all day and at the end it was the colon :)) which was missing from the title headers in row 1 of all sheets. Now all is fine and when you have some time please let me know the following:

The form control at B2 (to select each sheet) has no formatting and no code as far as I can see. I would like to make it easier to use but have no idea how. Perhaps if you tell me how you did it I might be able to do something with it.

Is it easy to add a control(s) in the form to be able to Add / Modify / Search and Delete records?

Thank you
    Nicolas

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice