1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 97 "Tools/Options" crash

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by countrydaddy, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. countrydaddy

countrydaddy Thread Starter

Hi, Folks.
    You were all very helpful when I was here last time with an Excel file problem. Rollin_Again helped me out by recovering a big file for me. Thanks again, R_A.
    Now, I have a problem with Excel 97 again. We are running Windows XP and my wife and I have separate accounts in XP. When either of us runs Excel, the same Excel.exe program file is used. However, when I am in the program under my XP account and I try to go to Tools/Options, I get the message "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience", etc., and I am kicked out of Excel. When I run Excel under my wife's XP account there is no problem with Tools/Options.
    There must be separate data files where the Excel Options are stored for each account, but I don't know what those files are.
    Anybody have a suggestion?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Search for any files on your computer with the extension .xlb and delete if found. These are the files that hold your custom toolbar settings and these file can become corrupt. If you delete them and re-open Excel this file will be recreated. This file is probably hidden so make sure to enable searching of hidden files. There should be a seperate .xlb for each Windows user profile on the machine so make sure to only delete yours.

(You can view your hidden files by double clicking "My Computer" and selecting TOOLS --> FOLDER OPTIONS --> VIEW --> SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS)

My .xlb file is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\Your_Windows_Login\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

If that doesn't work you may try some of the things I've mentioned in one of my previous posts.

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/548290-excel-exit-error-msg.html?highlight=.xlb

Regards,
    Rollin

3. countrydaddy

Rollin,
    I found the .xlb files and tried what you suggested, but the problem still persists. I even copied the contents of my wife's .xlb file into mine but nothing changed. I reviewed your past posts, but couldn't find one about this problem. Can you think of any other ideas?
    Regards,
    Countrydaddy

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Is there anything different about your wife's Windows login from yours (administrator vs user)

Have you tried any of the suggestions from my other post (safe mode, loading excel without add-ins)

Have you tried creating a new user profile in Windows to see if the problem persists with the new profile? If the problem does not exist with the new profile you can then copy your settings and files from the old profile to the new.

FOR XP PRO

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator rights
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click User Accounts.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
    5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
    6. On the Action menu, click New User.
    7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.

FOR XP HOME

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click User Accounts.
    4. Under Pick a task, click Create a new account.
    5. Type a name for the user information, and then click Next.
    6. Click an account type, and then click Create Account.

5. countrydaddy

I created a new User Account, deleted my old one and reinstalled Excel. Now everything works. Thanks R_A.
    Sorry for the delay in replying; I've been working on trying to get my printing ability back in IE and OE. For some reason it suddenly went south. In searching the internet, I find that this is a common problem but I can't find any solutions. I posted a thread under "All Other Software" but nobody has made a reply yet.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!