1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel 97 upgrade & Win xp Home

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by byteuser, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byteuser

byteuser Thread Starter

Installed xp home a year ago. All went well.
    Lost hard drive.
    Re-installed xp home. OK
    Installed registered Word 97. OK
    Tried to install Excel 97 upgrade. Keep getting the message that I do not have a product installed that is required for the upgrade. Hard disk search failed. Had it do maunal search to the Microsoft Office folder....same result.
    Have used this since buying Word 97 & Excel upgrade years ago. Never a problem when using win98, win98SE.
    Microsoft says it is an excel problem....NOT. But, they won't help because they no longer support Excel 97.
    All was fine until I had to re-install xp home.
    Can anyone tell me how to get around this problem. Have some excel files that I need.
    All software is properly registered.
    Thanks in advance for any assist!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

From your description the Excel upgrade is a stand-alone version of Excel.

It will therefore need to "see" a program that qualifies as an upgradeable product.

For 97, this was usually Microsoft Works, which was commonly bundled free. If you still have MS Works, it would allow the upgrade to suceed? It was probably not reinstalled by you on the new hard drive.

3. byteuser

byteuser Thread Starter

Thanks but I have never had Works. Had Word 97 and then bought the excel 97 upgrade and it worked fine before.
    I'll see if I can find a copy of works to install and then try again.
    Thanks again!

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

If you end up getting absolutely nowhere, you could maybe give OpenOffice a try.

http://www.openoffice.org/

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Something was on your computer that allowed you to perform an upgrade to Excel 97. You're not going to be able to install this upgrade version without that previous version/program.

6. byteuser

byteuser Thread Starter

Thanks. I have no idea what it might have been. Bought them both years ago. I have installed both (Word97 & Excel97 upgrade)on clean systems before XP and it worked though.

7. byteuser

byteuser Thread Starter

Guess I might need to do that.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

8. byteuser

byteuser Thread Starter

To All,
    Thanks for the input. Solved the problem by downloading and installing "spread32".
    This works fine and does more than I need and also opens/edits Excel files. Winner!
    Here's the link in case anyone else has need for a free spreadsheet:
    http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/
    Again, thanks to all.
    I will close this thread now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice