1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel - Can't see total in cell

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pcatrocity, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcatrocity

pcatrocity Thread Starter

When the ink color and background color are the same, I only see the formula when I mouse over or click on a cell. C3 has yellow for text & background. Line 3 is also Frozen.

Is there a way to easily see my totals without changing the text color? That's all I'm concerned about other people seeing.
    Even a mathematical genius can't figure out the total without knowing the hidden amounts.

I played around and googled this for 6 hours and I'm still no closer to working it out.
    Thanks for help you can give me.

2. pcatrocity

I forgot to attach file in first post

Attached Files:

3. pcatrocity

Would this action require a macro?

4. valis

valis Moderator

that's to be expected. You are filling a cell with a color, say hhhhaaaa, and you are then putting text on top of it that is in color hhhhaaaa.........they will not be able to be read.

5. pcatrocity

valis- when it comes to me being professional with Excel, I'm only a professional rookie.

I Understood about the ink color and background color being the same. Being familiar with Excel but still learning, I thought a right click might give me an option to view the cell total or show it in the equation window.
    Then I remembered reading about mouse overs and tried to make that happen.

Then I start applying the duct tape. Changed the font color back to automatic.
    Changed the font size and it only increased or decreased dust cell height. Instead of getting the #### that I expected. But that set me on the right track.

I unmerged cells C3:D3, E3:F3, G3:H3 & K3:L3 which gave me the #### and revealed the total when I moused over one of those cells.
    I even made L3 the grand total for the other four cells.

This is the first time I've had a use for #### and once I figured that out; I knew it's all in the cell width.
    It's working exactly like I wanted it to from the beginning. Without a macro or a conditional format.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Ahhh.....i see the question now; my apologies.

Alternatively you can double click the BORDERbetween whatever cell is giving you that ####. By that I mean, if cell e6 was spitting out the #### format just double click on the short vertical line between e and f and e will autoformat the width.

On a tablet or Id upload a screenshot.

7. pcatrocity

Thanks for the tip. It works.
    I'll definitely use it in the future. When I want to get rid of #### .
    For now, they serve a good purpose.

Thanks again

8. valis

valis Moderator

De nada. Glad to help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice