1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel - Cell protection/locking

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by arpgis, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arpgis

arpgis Thread Starter

I have a spreadsheet, see attached in which users can input activities either as a percentage or measurement on a river – in columns B and D…

I need to restrict the entry of data – so if the user inputs data in column B then they can not enter in column D and vice versa…

Attached Files:

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I believe that'll require VBA. Also, what happens if they accidentally enter in B? You *could* potentially use conditional formatting so that if there's NOT a value in B, D is yellow, and vice-versa. That way, you're letting the user know a value is required?

3. arpgis

arpgis Thread Starter

Thanks Anne, I have tried conditional formatting - turning the cells a different colour, but allowing for the odd slip of the fingers, it is possible to have different entries in both columns... I think VBA is the answer, but I'm not too sure on the coding...!!!

4. OBP

OBP

This is moving in to an Access Application area, Excel is fine for quick and simple input, but gets much harder when you want to start controlling the data input.
    The attached Workbook shows how this can be achieved using VBA in the Workbook Module.

Attached Files:

5. arpgis

arpgis Thread Starter

OBP - JTJ many, many thanks for your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice