1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel- copy and paste without hidden rows?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by drewmeister_sd, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewmeister_sd

drewmeister_sd Thread Starter

Greetings.

I have a pivot table that I'm trying to pull a sample from. It is 1800 rows, of which about 400 have data that I want to use for my sample selection. I'm trying to generate my sample randomly. I've hidden the empty rows. I tried to copy this into another file, but the hidden rows are included as well. Data sort doesn't work, or I can't get it to work.

Any ideas? I was hoping to just copy the data only rows into a new file and generate random numbers for my sample, using the row #s as my selection criteria.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

Select the area.
    Hit Edit-->Go To-->Special-->Visible Cells only
    Copy.

Try that. I'm pretty sure it works, tho I didn't test it. :)

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

If that doesn't work for you drewmeister_sd, try uploading a small sample of your work and lining out how you would like it to look.

4. drewmeister_sd

drewmeister_sd Thread Starter

Thank you so much Anne!

I read through 2 different manuals and couldn't find a solution. I was going to chuck my fancy statistically valid, random sample selection. My boss will like to hear this! (y)

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

Cool beans, Drew. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617445