1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel displaying a date when i dont want it to

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tiggly, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tiggly

tiggly Thread Starter

Hi I realise that this is a common thread but I couldn't find a way to make it work for me in particular.

I have some cells that i want to add dates to in the future. they will contain a date that i want to add 14 days to, so that i know when to delete something two weeks later.

the formula i have used is =DATE(YEAR(Vicki!C16),MONTH(Vicki!C16),DAY(Vicki!C16)+14)

but because that formula is operating on a cell (in a seperate sheet) without a date in it currently, the cell displays 14/01/1900

I would like the cell to display as empty/clear until there is a date in the cell I want to add the 14 days too.

Hope that make sense
    Any help gratefully received

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi tiggly, welcome to TSG.

You need to add an If statement so that Excel will check whether the cell is blank or not. Try something like this:

=IF(Vicki!C16="","",DATE(YEAR(Vicki!C16),MONTH(Vicki!C16),DAY(Vicki!C16)+14))

Hope that helps.

3. tiggly

tiggly Thread Starter

that was the answer it took me 4 hours not to find.... Ty i am your humble servant.

Tiggly

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

No problem. :) You can use the Solved button to mark this thread as solved. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979794